help on DC-AC inverter for Public art Project. Thks

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
federico muelas

Post by federico muelas »

Hi Rob,
Thanks a lot!
That sound's like a 007 agent mission... enjoy.
you're right. I'll build them by hand and then once we know for sure that is the final board I'll send them out. I think we should stay with the single layer since there is a big difference in price between one and two layers, and few wire-jumpers are easy to assemble.
Thanks a lot.
Fede
federico muelas

Hi guys,

Rob,
I finally sent the two boards to a PCB manufacturing company named pcb-pool (http://www.pcb-pool.com). They have some kind of sharing system that for the final production may not be cost effective but for the prototype is fine, they are about $80 each board in total, shipping included, so it’s not a bad deal.

They should be here in about ten days so I’ll be ready to assemble the prototypes and try it, I could send it to you if you want.

Dyaker,
I got a HP Compact Intel core 2 CPU 6300 @1,86 GHz and 1,97 GB of Ram with Windows XP, Professional SP2 for the project.
Is this suitable for your code?
Thanks a lot guys!!
Fede
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Yes, does it have a serial port?
Dale Y
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico,
I had forgotten about the 'PCB Pool' approach. Just note that we may have to make changes round the PIC area, but fine for a first prototype.

Gradually going nuts here, everything is happening so frustratingly slowly, only a few more days to go.

Rob
LIFE….the crappy bit between birth and death
federico muelas

Hi Guys,
Thanks
Dyaker, it has a serial port, right (it's amazing that you can still find them on computers).
Rob, try to make the best of it... I guess... read..walk...sleep...
Thanks guys!!
best
Fede
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I was hopeing to get semi-working demo programs available to you (Federico and Rob) last week. Over time at work, and wife demands for her deserved portion of my time, has brought code writing to a near standstill. And part of the time that I do have for coding is spent remembering what I was trying to do a couple days ago.

Work and wife stuff still not resolved, but at the very least I will do a program to send test pattern. That way you guys can test circuit boards as you assemble them, and test PIC programming. Will this keep you busy while construction continues? Then I'll have time to do a more complete version without stopping progress on other parts of project.

Frederico,

What are the agreement/contract terms with UNM or whoever is funding construction? I need to know because I will be putting some kind of license on the programs. I'm not getting paid (and not asking for pay), so this isn't a work for hire.

If all you and/or UNM need is working programs then I'll copyright to myself and keep ownership; giving you, Rob and UNM rights to make all the copies you need.

On the other hand, if UNM or whoever wants the source code, then I'll use GNU license or similar.

Cheers & C U L,
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

BTW - the CD hasn't arrived yet. It sounds like it should be interesting and useful. Partly, I was hoping to find an image that could be converted to an icon for the program.

ABTW - Rob, This thread is up to 11 pages. Finding specs and diagrams (and which is most current) is kinda hard. Got anything you want posted on a web page for all involved to refer to? I have my own domain name and server space. PM me.

I know Fed also has a web site, but mine is more of a tech blog, while his is more slick and pro looking. (different objectives)

Cheers,
Dale Y
federico muelas

Hi Dyaker,
A test program will give us plenty to keep us busy i think. I should get the PCBs this week but the PIC code hasn't been written yet so I think the proto board won't be ready to test in at least two weeks.

I totally understand about the licensing, let me go over the UNM contract again and I'll let you know.

I don't know that much about programming so if the UNM School of Engineering finally develop some code, such us the one that transform the video image into 70 x70 1 bit @4 FPS , they may need the source code or get some info from you if the hooks you set on your program are not enough, as I say I don't know enough programing to know what the process will be . I'll ask them too.

The DVD should have arrive or about to arrive, I'll try to follow it up tomorrow. Also I can send you tomorrow an image for the program icon if you want, (something simple, an image of the ink expanding into water may be)

Best

Fede
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

If you sent the DVD by USPS less than 3 weeks ago, there's still a chance it will show up. If you used UPS or FedEx it's gone, they can't deliver to APOs.
Dale Y
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico,

I’m back now in the UK. I have received the CD from you, thank you.
News from brother, he has written an initial version of the PIC code for testing, So I need to make up some hardware to test it in. And also need to make the data stream simulator to test this, so I’ve got plenty on my plate at the moment.

Dyarker:- Good idea about the ‘Project’ site for this, it is becoming a bit confusing now which is the current version. I will PM you the latest drawings, so we all have access to the same material.

Regards
Rob
federico muelas

Hi Guys,
Rob, welcome back!, let me know if you need anything for the hardware test, components, parts, PCB or assemble something to help you, etc.
Thanks a lot! and thanks to your brother too!!

Dyaker,
I used USPS so I think is still on its way. thanks!

Fede
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Rob,

Is it posible to change the bit rate from 40000 to 38400, 56000 or 57600?

I think I got one XP PC to go 40000 after some fiddling, but another won't change from a standard rate to 40000 at all.

I have a question posted on another forum, so it's still possible I can fix this and get 40Kbps reliably.

In the meantime, are you using internal resonator of PIC, or external crystal? If external crystal, we can change to a multiple of standard rate and not mess up the PIC code much. (for example multiples of 1.2288MHz divide by powers of 2 for 300 to 38400)

C U L -
Dale Y
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Dale,

The clock is 4MHz and the basic time interval is 1us. So the timing can be adjusted in 1us intervals, e.g. 25us..26us..etc.

Regards
Rob
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Good, lets make it 26uS. That would be
1 / 0.000026S = 38461.53bps
(1 - (38400 / 38461.53)) * 100 = 0.16% error from 38400bps

0.00002604166 * 11 * 472 = 0.13520833Sec for data of one frame. Add break and mark after break based on 26uSec, and we're still faster than Fed's 4 frames per second max.
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Just sent you both a PM with link for getting Version 0.000001 :mrgreen:

Even if PIC/A6818 PCBs aren't ready yet, you can put o'scope on com port and watch the bits.

C U L -
Dale Y