Broadcasting to vehicles

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jgapril

Broadcasting to vehicles

Post by jgapril »

Hi all,
newbie here, so please be kind.

I ride with a bunch (26) of other dunebuggy enthusiast and it seems that we all have different radio stations on, but we would like to all play music from a cd or something like that. IS IT POSSIBLE, and how is it done, to broadcast from one vehicle to all the others so we can play a cd. Now MY radio has the standard AM FM, but it also can accept a SCAN DISK, IPOD hook up and it has a USB port, a well as other connections.

many thnaks
John
jgapril

Post by jgapril »

Virtual Reality Sound VR3 CD Player w/ USB and Scan Disk Inputs

This is my radio, just in case you may want to look for more info.

Any help people is appreciated.

John
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i bought me a whole house fm transmitter, i belive i paid almost $100.00 for it..i can listen to my musik around the whole block. the specks indicate a smaller area, but i have the antenne wire pinned up on the wall high.
i can listen to what ever i put thru it in stereo. even when down the street
about 500ft+

http://www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com

http://www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com/ ... er-details
specks..

should be no problem in the car, this transmitter comes with many accessories too..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

There are a number of such FM transmitters but universally the transmit power is low. Line of sight outdoors would be best case and this seems likely for dune buggies but unless you are all driving an a relatively tight pack, most of you will have poor or intermittent reception.

Your radio would still be just a receiver despite all the fancy inputs, whatever you use will be separate. Perhaps a CD player and an FM modulator. Expect a small loss of sound quality even with good reception as FM is not as good as CD quality. "a whole house" system would be more powerful than a small adapter (like the iPod FM modulators) I would expect. Specifications should list output power and transmit channels. The little ones barely make it 30 feet.

With a few modifications, one could likely boost the output power of an FM modulator. Probably requires a transistor/resistor substitution in the output stage and a bigger antenna but technically illegal from FCC rules. You would need to reverse engineer the circuit from whatever modulator you get before one could consider exactly what mods are possible. A secondary RF amplifier and antenna might also serve this purpose if the unit is not modify-able due to it being a single chip solution for example.

Retransmitting on say an FRS radio is possible up to 1 or 4 miles (depending on power level and model) but audio quality will be poor. If you are into spending money, might look into a motorcycle intercom system.

Frankly it would be easier to make many copies of your CD and all start at the same time

Higher power FM transmitters are available for use as low power "underground" stations but I don't remember where to get them.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

"Expect a small loss of sound quality even with good reception as FM is not as good as CD quality. "

While roaring over dunes at 40 MPH in a bouncing buggy, doubt if that would be of much concern! :grin:
jgapril

Post by jgapril »

THe overall quality would not be a problem, as we will be riding in the Mardi Gras parades, and just about all of us will be channeling our radio through our siren pa system, loosing MORE quality. Does anyone have any comments on this system:

www.mobileblackbox.com

thanks
John
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

did you see my post ? it can be powered from a DC source
( cig lighter plug in ) and can reach as far as 500 ft. for me.. but the transmitter gurantees 150 ft.
jgapril

Post by jgapril »

I decided to go with the MOBILE BLACK BOX and have ordered same. As soon as I get it in and test it I will post here to let you know the results.

many thanks
John
jwax

Post by jwax »

Which model did you order John?
John
WA2RBA
jgapril

Post by jgapril »

The V 6000, is that a good choice? I received it Saturday, but have not installed it yet. Hoping to do so this weekend.

John
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Too bad it only transmits a monaural signal, not stereo.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

At least for the intended parade use, that won't have any real effect. I
personally would rather have a stereo signal, but if it fills the bill...

Besides, I don't think I'd be concentrating on the stereo separation while
blasting dunes at over 50 mph!

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?