T6.3 fuse, characteristics??

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Rodney

T6.3 fuse, characteristics??

Post by Rodney »

I am modifiying an old computer power supply to simply have a source for 5 and 12 volts DC on the bench. Simply hooking up the proper leads (yellow for +12V and red for +5V) to a terminal block and loading the 5V line with a 5 ohm 20 Watt resistor. In the process, I managed to blow the fuse, marked T6.3/250volts. Is this a delayed blow fuse or what is it's characteristics? Do I need to replace it with an identical part number is are there suitable replacements?
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

The fuse should be a slow blow (Time Delay) & (Low breaking capacity).

Is this fuse a small glass tube (cartridge) type about 5X20mm?

If that is the case it would be a Coopper Bussman GDC type fuse.

http://www.cooperbussmann.com/ProductIn ... uctID=4903

Any comperable fuse could replace it.

Ron
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

some of them power supply fuzes have leads on the end..if its just a glass fuze, you should be able to find it easily at radio shack.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

The fuse is 0.15 inch in diam. and 0.8 inches long and in a typical fuse holder (two U shaped clips at each end of the holder) and the fuse appears to be a white ceramic body. I could just wire in a 6 amp slow blow fuse using a different fuse holder. If I can't locate the proper one, I'll try that. Thanks for the info. Rodney
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

That would be a 5 x 20mm fuse.

Either Digikey 0001.2712.22-ND or 283-2706-ND will work. (Actually, applying all filters on digikey seach, except manufacturer, gave two pages of hits. Six to eight of those are in stock)

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the slowblo ones radio shack has would work for you..i have some here that i got from them,,