Easily assembled single in-line connector

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The connectors in your photo are different than what I was looking at. I can't say my plan will work with those for sure.
ktrussell

Post by ktrussell »

haklesup wrote:The connectors in your photo are different than what I was looking at. I can't say my plan will work with those for sure.
Can your connectors be installed on the cable by using a hand tool that presses a clamp onto all the wires at once in the way a typical dual-row connector (like in a PC) is installed? If so, where do you get them? I would love to find that kind of single-row connector but I have been unable to do so at the normal low-quantity distributors I buy from normally.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Unfortunately for you I am not buying those connectors. I have a box full of them assembled onto ribbon cables already. They were used with DIP cliips so they have two SIP on one end and either a dual row IDC or some DB-25 on the other end. This is all NOS from two clip based testers that used to sell well almost 20 years ago but are now all but obsolete since DIP is not a favored package anymore.

Example on this page 1/2 way down and the accessories link from this page http://www.curvetrace.com/

I have a real lot of these of varying pin count from 8 to 64 and even some with just the SIP and nothing on the other end. But I have no loose SIP parts at all and since they are small they bear no logo. I could send you some no charge (just postage) and you could either use as is or slavage and reuse the connectors.

Please describe the pin count, length and termination at both ends of your ideal cable and I'll see if something fits. These will plug onto WW headers with 0.100" centers. I think they are about 18" long and the SIPs are about 1.5 or 2" apart at one end. I also have loads of DIP and SIOC clips too.

We have a bench version of that tool with several adapter plates to fit a variety of IDC connectors, we assemble a lot of 60pin cables (2x30) so need a larger tool. I also have a giant hand tool like that but it is almost 30" long and we never use it. In a pinch you can use a vice grip or even a table top and a metal bar and body weight
ktrussell

Post by ktrussell »

Those are what I would like to find. For my current project, I am OK with what I bought and using the tool to press each wire into place. I will upload some pictures soon to close the loop on this thread. I appreciate all the input. I will frequent this forum more often. I would like, however, to find a good source for the ones you show which use the hand or bench press (or as you say other creative means) to press all wires in place at once.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
I would suggest aramid or nomex paper ribbon cable; I believe are like part 1747892-1 from Tyco. I have had a lot of experience with them and fully satisfied.
Can be inserted in single-row female connectors or can be soldered too. No special tools of any kind needed, no crimping, no terminals, and cannot be cheaper. This is exactly how it looks like:
http://my.farnell.com/9163417/cable/pro ... -1437130-3
Click on "more images"

And are used in exactly LCD-to-mainboard applications at my workplace.

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
ktrussell

Post by ktrussell »

Thanks,
I will look into those. I have attached three pictures of cables I made with the MTA100 connectors and tool I bought (Digikey: Tool A9982; Connectors A31001, A30953, A30996, A31033). The tool worked well and the assembly went quickly but not as quickly as the common IDC connectors that use the clamp (IDE hard-drive type ribbon connectors). The first image is the beginning of construction after trimming every other wire of the .05" pitch cable and before pressing the wires with the T-tool. The 2nd is the finished cable. The 3rd is a 4-wire cable in which I didn't bother with trimming every other wire. I just used 4 adjacent wires.

Note: If you search for the A9982 T-tool at Digikey, you can watch a short video tutorial showing how to use it (http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Amp/Web ... 20MTA.html).

ktrussell

Post by ktrussell »

ktrussell

Post by ktrussell »