Need a momentary switch to switch about 40 amps to a DC moto

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Rodney

Need a momentary switch to switch about 40 amps to a DC moto

Post by Rodney »

I have a DC motor (a starter off an old marine engine) that pulls about 30 to 40 amps on 12 volts. I want to use it for light intermittent duty (starting a large single cylinder model engine of about 72cc). Any suggestion such as "Will an FET be suitable to use as a switch?" or should a contact type switch be used. Any suggestions or circuitry will be appreciated. Power source is a 12 volt lawn mower type battery or a car battery. The mechanical connection between the DC motor and engine being started is simply a friction cone held against the spinner on the model engine.
gerty

Post by gerty »

I would use a "Ford" type starter solenoid. It goes in series with the positive cable, and if the case is grounded, only requires one wire to energize.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

you can get theose starters from any hobby shop for about 40-50 dollars
they already have the switch on the motor..
probably can find them cheaper on ebay.. but then again i am not sure what the limits are ( what size engine is the max for that starter )
but then again, they also make gear reduction starters as well...

good luck
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

dacflyer wrote:you can get theose starters from any hobby shop for about 40-50 dollars
they already have the switch on the motor..
probably can find them cheaper on ebay.. but then again i am not sure what the limits are ( what size engine is the max for that starter )
but then again, they also make gear reduction starters as well...

good luck

I am aware of the availability for these but, to start this large a motor, the cost is more like $150 so I'm trying to get by for a lot less money. My problem so far is getting a switch that will stand up to the high currents.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

trying again after my last response disappeared...

a HEXFET such as an IRFZ44 or greater should be OK for basic ON/OFF control.
FOB

Post by FOB »

Back in the 1970's before commercial model starters were common, we used windshield wiper motors available from salvage yards for less than $5.00. We used flipper switches from old pinball machines to switch the wiper motor. Similar switches are available, I believe, at All Electronics and other surplus stores. If the current eats your switch, I agree with the previous poster that a Ford starter relay will probably outlast you, as they switch several hundred amps of 12 volt for years.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

Almost forgot: if you go the FET route, be sure that your power supply voltage doesn't droop too much when you are cranking the motor, or use a separate FET supply. If the gate voltage drops along with the motor voltage, the FET will begin to consume a lot of power and probably burn up.
philba

Post by philba »

I'd use a lower capacity switch to drive a contactor. My guess is that's what the commercial solutions use.