As featured in the Personal Robotics column of the June 2008 issue of Nuts and Volts magazine
- The Challenge: Document and detail all the equipment needed to transform an empty table into a fully-operational, entry-level electronics workbench.
The Catch: Your budget is no more than $100 USD.
The Fine Print: Your sole source for items are vendors who currently advertise in Nuts & Volts magazine.
-2nd place prize: A Parallax Propeller Starter Kit
-3rd place prize: A Parallax BASIC Stamp 1 Starter Kit
HOW TO ENTER
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, send an email to [email protected] with a list of the items you would include to equip your workbench. Place one item per line and include the vendor name and price for the item. An example of the requested format is shown here:
Code: Select all
Quan |Item |Vendor |Part# |Price ------------------------------------------------------------------ 1 | Soldering Iron | AllElectronics.com | IR-258 |$28.95 1 | Volt/Ohm Meter | Jameco.com | MV110 |$36.95 ------------------------------------------------------------------ Total|$65.90
You may send your design in plain-text (as shown in the example above) or attach it to your email in the form of an spreadsheet (Open Office 2.0 Open Document Spreadsheet ".ODS" format preferred over ".XLS"). Making clickable links to each item's relevant web page is a plus, for example:
1 | Soldering Iron | AllElectronics.com | IR-258 |$28.95
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... N/-/1.html
To keep it simple, DO NOT include shipping or tax, just the current item price from the vendor. A short description of your design philosophy and any details about the reasons for your choices should accompany your submission.
Make sure your entry includes your name, a valid return email address, a telephone number, best time to contact you via phone and your shipping address.
To be eligible, entries must be completed and received on or by:
JULY 4th 2008
Incomplete entries, entries where the total equipment price exceeds $100, or entries that do not use vendors that advertise in Nuts and Volts magazine will be disqualified.
1. Employees of T&L Publications, its contest sponsor (Parallax Inc.) advertising and promotional agencies and their respective affiliates and associates and such employees' immediate family members and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are excluded from this contest.
2. The prize is not redeemable in cash and must be accepted as awarded - no substitutions will be made available.
3. Decisions of the contest judge (Vern Graner) is final.
4. By claiming the prize, the winner authorizes the use, without additional compensation of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium (including without limitation, radio broadcasts, newspapers and other publications and in television or film releases, slides, videotape, distribution over the internet and picture date storage) which T&L Publications may deem appropriate.
5. In accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that T&L Publications, Parallax Inc. and Vern Graner (the article author) may not be held liable for any loss, damages or injury associated with accepting or using the prize(s). Further, the winner acknowledges that T&L Publications, Parallax Inc. and Vern Graner (the article author) are not responsible for any taxes, fees, tariffs or other costs involved with the delivery of the prize.
6. T&L Publications and/or Parallax Inc. retains the rights, in its absolute and sole discretion, to make substitutions of equivalent kind or approximate value in the event of the unavailability of any prize or component of the prize for any reason whatsoever.
7. T&L Publications reserves the right to withdraw, terminate or alter this contest at any time without prior notice.
8. Approximate value of prizes vary.
9. One entry per person.
10. If the entrant is below the age of 18, their parent or guardian must submit their entry
11. All entries shall become the property of T&L Publications. T&L Publications is not responsible for lost, misdirected or delayed entries. Entries sent by methods other than email must arrive at the T&L Publications office no later than the stated end of the contest.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected]. Thanks and good luck!