COnverting to HDTV

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cdenk

COnverting to HDTV

Post by cdenk »

My current setup is a home NTSC distribution network where all the receivers go through modulators so a one goes from one receiver to the other all they have to do is tune that modulator frequency. All the receivers go to a combiner/splitter and then to the receivers. Here's a list of receivers:
(2) Directv receivers with RF remotes
(1) Full HDTV
(1) TV Monitor with NTSC tuner, will get a HDTV tuner in future
(1) Computer with HDTV tuner and video with HDMI, component, and VGA output.
(1) DVD player
(1) VCR recorder probably goes away in future
(1) Off the air antenna, received HDTV fine.

Looking for same functionality with HD without spending huge money, but haven't been able to find HDTV capable modulators.

Any ideas?
Bigglez

Re: COnverting to HDTV

Post by Bigglez »

*** Redacted by poster ***
cdenk

Post by cdenk »

That unit combines 2 signals to output 8 of them. I would need 2 in parallel to give me 4 inputs, and then that would mean running HDMI cable 2 sets everywhere, some of them 60 foot long, strung from attic down to a wall outlet box, and those cables aren't cheap and are difficult to terminate yourself. Controlling everything becomes a possible issue. The DirectV receivers have RF remotes, with one in the attic. We control other things with IR remotes. But that's another issue that I can handle. I know I can go to IR for everything with a little wiring and inexpensive equipment.

Yes, I am aware of the limitations of resolution of my current modulators. They input component video/audio. All the HDTV receivers I plan on have component (blue/red/green) ouput in addition to HDMI. I would think that similar to the presnt modulators, wouldn't be that difficult to go from component to a HDTV channel. My computer does it (ATI HD650 tuner card, ATI HD2400 All IN Wonder card). Takes the HDTV off the air (there is component input also), saves it, or puts it out to monitor, component, or HDMI. Understand it's possible to have more than one of some of the cards, but haven't been looking at that yet. The computer may become HDTVR, it has a RF remote

That's $1299, a lot of money, see:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.a ... id=PH61150 - Component I/O
and
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.a ... SWV6813/17 HDMI

MCM is a part of the Newark group, and quite good in the professional audio, security, CAT/SAT/TV areas.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Sounds to me that you can still use your analog modulator based system as it is, all you need to do is add some DTV capable receivers and modulate that back into your analog system. Naturally you would be sacrificing the HD resolution but you could access the program content for viewing.

You have at least one HDTV so it would be a shame not to get an HD picture on it. So if it dosen't already have its own tuner you should find something.

The HD home theatre market isn't quite mature yet. What I want is an HD compatible home theatre reciever with 1080i (or p) upconversion from any of its inputs. They have these but still close to $1k. In a year this feature should be below $400.

Already you can get upconverting DVD players for a low price. They not only upconvert a DVD you play but they also upconvert whatever is connected to its AV inputs on the back and outputs to HDMI cable. This may be useful at your HDTV.
cdenk

Post by cdenk »

1 TV is full HDTV, 1 is HD monitor (will get a tuner for it), 1 is old analog and it will be repaced with full HDTV in near future, and computer is HDTV. Would like to distribute HD, otherwise my current setup would work. Plan to replace the 2 Directv with HD units in near future. It's just the distribution with current functionality. One Directv is mine the other wife's, as we move from room to room or want to watch others programming, just switch TV channel, don't remember it was channel 379 or whatever.

Has anybody experience with either HDMI or component to cat-5 baluns. they aren't that expensive and cat-5 is cheap, easy to stretch and terminate? MCM has a bunch of stuff in this area.

Every day I see more pieces and neat things to tie this stuff together, hoping find the right stuff soon. As was said all I want to do is take component and make it look like a HD channel on the RG-6.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I have not seen any products that can remodulate any video input (digital or analog of any resolution) as modulated RF (presumably QAM for an ATSC tuner) like the old channel 3/4 modulators. They may come in the future but not now. Even my HD cable box dosen't attrempt that, just HDMI or Component RCA for video and L/R or optical for audio

Upconversion to HDMI seems to be the way to do it now but HDMI amplifiers / splitters are shockingly expensive. The only economical way to do it today is through a good A/V reciever.

I have heard of equipment to modulate over Ethernet. Its not just using the CAT5 cables, its a real intranet device. I think the newer Sling Boxes can do this. I have also heard rumor of wireless HD compatible transmitters using 804.11n but I have not actually seen one of these yet.
cdenk

Post by cdenk »

BiggLEz said: You would need a
very widebandwidth analog RF channel to carry
the 19.4Mbits/sec HD data (that comes out of the
HD receiver).

My current RG-6 plus combiner/splitter (a dozen coax's to it) does a fine job of delivering HDTV from roof antenna to receivers. Of course that is digital data, but that's what I am looking for, something to make a digital signal from either HDMI or component.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

....roof antenna to receivers. Of course that is digital data, but that's what I am looking for, something to make a digital signal from either HDMI or component.
The signal on the RG-6 from the antenna is still analog and remains that way until it goes into a tuner and is demodulated. That is, the digital content is separated from the analog carrier then further processed. THat antenna signal can still be distributed the same way as always but only something with a tuner can turn that into digital which will reside on either HDMI or component RCA plugs. (actually component video is also analog but contains the full resolution of the digital program)

The component signal is relitively easy and inexpensive to split, amplify and switch using A/B type switch boxes and circuitry similar to composite analog video. THe only drawback is that you need to run 5 coax cables per input (3 of video and 2 for audio)

The HDMI is more convenient from the POV of having only one cable and having best signal (truely digital) but switches, repeaters (AKA amplifiers) and multipliers are quire expensive due to the IC chip per connector and very hifgh speed designs inside the box (and an immature industry). Net effect high price.

Both component and HDMI will only have one program per wire. RG-6 Antenna or cable obviously have many channels at once. Your system can consist of parts of all three types of wiring.

I use an amplified splitter to distribute cable and antenna (separately) to each room then use these as required at each site.

For whole house, I run one set of R, L, Video (common red white yellow A/V cables) to each room and the TV in my bedroom is the master and all the others show the same thing on video 2 input. This cuts down on the echo you get from playing the same show on different digital tuners or from different sources (ant vs cable or digital channel vs analog channel) when you watch tv and move from room to room doing stuff. I use A/V cable because it is cheap and still compatible with all my sets. I split the A/V using a Y cable adapter rather than an amplifier because I only have 3 sets (locations) but this still results in some video interference I can tolerate.

Maybe someday I can U/G to HDMI but only after the prices come down and I upgrade more sets. HD cable box only has one HDMI output anyway, would need to use component for a second set. At least the cables and amplifier are cheaper for component being basically the same as an A/V cable but different colors.
cdenk

Post by cdenk »

Was said: signal on RG-6 is analog.

I don't know (well out of my expertice), it's different than the old analog, what I was trying to say is I receive HDTV from over the air on the RG-6, therefore it has sufficient bandwidth, or whatever it's called to get a HDTV signal to the receiver. Just like the analog modulators input component and output a NTSC signal over the RG-6. Would seem that the similar thing could be done with HDTV, composite (the HDTV type) input, a signal that a HDTV tune could input. The lack of this equipment may be related to copy protection politics.

Was said: Bedroom TV is master, 2nd set is same program material. That wouldn't work here, I watch one, wife another channel, 3rd channel recorded. Anyone could be any TV.

Keep the thoughts coming. :)
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

cdenk

Post by cdenk »

The component interface, blue/green/etc., does that have the full HDTV, or 4 SDTV or digital content that requires all the bandwidth to require fancy cable?

I see component to Cat-5 baluns, do they work? I heard the provide a less than good video.
hdmi
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-10450
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-10451
component (other colors similar)
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-7766

was said: provide a high quality transport (coax or HDMI) path to move it around.

I have the coax (RG-6) all homeruns to the combiner/splitter which could be changed to some other equipment.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »