Toshiba TV intermittent Remote Reception

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Re: Toshiba TV intermittent Remote Reception

Post by jollyrgr »

As long as we are on quotes here are two from Armageddon:<p>Rockhound: You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it? <p>Lev Andropov: American components, Russian components, all made in Taiwan!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Jack Riblet

Post by Jack Riblet »

I am having the same problem with my Toshiba 332A61. I unplugger the TV for a reset and when I plugged it back in the remote(I have three including the original Toshiba) worked again, but only for less tha a day. My remotes work my satellite fine, it's only the TV features that don't work: changing channels, volume control, mute and such. When one remote works they all work. I paid over $700 for this Tv less than 3 years ago. Now it's taken me back to the 50's when I have to go to the TV to make selections. It's a heavy unit so there's no way I can haul it to a service center(some 30 miles away) Can any TV tech. replace the remote sensor?
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Cato
Interesting to hear what your problem was, I had a similar problem several years ago on a different brand TV. Of all the cheap parts to go wrong-it wasn't. Of the most expensive part in the chain-it was.A $50 micro, Ah well thats life.
cato

Post by cato »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by oldmr2driver:
I am having the same problem with my Toshiba 332A61. I unplugger the TV for a reset and when I plugged it back in the remote(I have three including the original Toshiba) worked again, but only for less tha a day. My remotes work my satellite fine, it's only the TV features that don't work: changing channels, volume control, mute and such. When one remote works they all work. I paid over $700 for this Tv less than 3 years ago. Now it's taken me back to the 50's when I have to go to the TV to make selections. It's a heavy unit so there's no way I can haul it to a service center(some 30 miles away) Can any TV tech. replace the remote sensor?<hr></blockquote><p>If you read this board, I would suspect that YOU could replace it.
Jack Riblet

Post by Jack Riblet »

The remote is working fine today. I can't see any reason for it to work one time and not another. It will be OK for 5 minutes, an hour or all the time , like today. One other thing I noticed is I can change channels when it's not working on the volume or power. DUH!!
philba

Post by philba »

phase of the moon?<p>I have a wierd one too. As long as we are discussion this one...<p>I have a remote for a DVD player that I really like but the remote is flakey. I use an IR distribution system and the target has a visible LED that it flashes when it gets a signal. My DVD player is in the equipment rack in a closet. Half the time the remote works correctly, I see the flashes from the target and the action (like play or stop) happens. But other times when I press the remote buttons, the target flashes weakly and the player does nothing. If I whack the remote unit, it then works correctly for a while.<p>At first I thought it was the IR distribution system but if I open the closet door and point directly at the DVD player, it does the same thing (though no visible feedback) until I whack the remote. Why would it emit bad signals some times? There must be an intermittent somewhere. I've opened up the remote but see nothing obvious (and used my stereo microscope on it!). Maybe I need to reflow it (not serious about that). I've replace the batteries but no difference.<p>I suppose I should just buy a new remote but they (panasonic) wants like $100 for one. I like the player because it doesn't have the chroma bug that so many new (and cheapo) DVD players have.<p>Any ideas?
cato

Post by cato »

You've just described every remote I've ever owned. I believe you are shifting the batteries when you wack it. Next time, instead of wacking it, remove the battery cover and shift them, roll them and generally move them around. <p>As far as what would cause intermittent operation of the TV remote receiver.... an intermittent connection?
philba

Post by philba »

you know, that was my first theory - poor battery contact but it didn't do any good. I even bent the contacts so they made tighter contact - no luck. <p>By the way, I've never had that kind of problem with any other remote I own, which seems to number in the thousands...
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I had a Philips 13 inch over which I pulled out my hair for months because of intermittent IR response. I tried all kinds of "battery" fixes and a new remote still did not solve the problem. After I replaced the remote receiver inside the set, the problem was solved.