Source for hackable, small, qwerty keyboard

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jaem

Source for hackable, small, qwerty keyboard

Post by jaem »

Hey all,
I don't have a particular project in mind, but I was in FutureShop today with some friends, and ran across the XBox360 keyboard addon for the controllers. If you haven't seen it, here's a picture, and here's one of it mounted in the controller. I've never actually used one, but it looked nice, was relatively cheap ($34.99, IIRC - and that's at FutureShop, which doesn't exactly have low prices (tip: don't buy flash memory there :P)), and connects via 4 flat conductors, and a 3-conductor phono plug.
This got me wondering how hackable this product is, and whether there is anything easily available that's better or comparable. If anyone has any thoughts, please share them.
Most of the keypads I've seen are keypads, not nice - but small - keyboards, and even a 10-key pad can get pretty pricey. I admit to having geek-fantasies of a wrist-mounted keyboard that looked good enough to actually wear in public, but while that's not likely, there are still plenty of uses for portable keyboards.

So... thoughts? suggestions? comments?
-Jeff

P.S. I'm looking for things that are easily available in Western Canada - e.g. local, or cheap shipping
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

Google "wearable computing" There are a bunch of small keyboards around that fit on your wrist.