headphone speakers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
johnk

headphone speakers

Post by johnk »

Hi everyone. Where might I find speakers for headphones? I want to experiment with building my own headphones. I don't want to buy a cheap headphone and tear it up, rather, I would like to be able to buy the speakers seperately. I searched everywhere I can think of, radioshack, outpost, and about a hundred other places, and nobody has the kind of speakers I am looking for.<p>I am looking for speakers that can be used in headphones: Frequency response of around 20h-20kh.<p>Point me to a website or supplier that sells this stuff. Thanks!!!
bwts

Re: headphone speakers

Post by bwts »

I dont know of any speaers small enuff 2 B headphones that will give u the frequency responce ur after. The problem is that frequencies @ the bass end need power to be heard and small speakers just dont have that much power.<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
gadgeteer

Re: headphone speakers

Post by gadgeteer »

I would suggest BUYING a cheap headset and cannibalize them. I bought a set of 18-25000hz at Big Lots for about $4...<p> May I suggest you find headphones rated at 15hz - 25khz or better? If you buy 20-20k, odds are they are LYING, and just GUESSED at the frequency; but even if TRUE, those two points are called the HALF-POWER (-3dB) points; if you plot the AMPLITUDE verses FREQUENCY, by the time the graph reaches EITHER POINT half your power is GONE. Although Humans cannot hear lower than 20hz or higher than 20khz, if you buy 15-25k (or 10-30k), ALL THE POWER will BE there even down to 20 and up to 20k. And you WILL HEAR the difference!<p>RadioShack frequently has their $40 evaporated titanium headphones on sale for $20; and the sound must be heard to be believed. Trebles are crisp and clean, bass is deep and full...<p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: gadgeteer ]</p>