Flourescent emergency lights

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ed B.

Flourescent emergency lights

Post by Ed B. »

Question -
In the sanctuary of my church in a line-up of flourescent lights along the side walls - are a couple of tubes on each side that remain lit when the main circuit breaker is shut off.
Investigating those tubes that remain lit I find what looks like a second ballast. It is about the same size as the regular ballasts but it is labelled - "EMERGI-LITE U/L LISTED 630R NYC Approved" Also - "FPSI Flourescent Emergency/normal lighting unit."
Due to the failure of one side emergency lights we had to purchase at an Electrical Supply house - another one of the above devices for $70. to satisfy a Fire Department safety inspection.
Can anyone steer me to find technical information on how this device (ballast ?) operates. There does not seem to be a back-up battery but there is an input (?) from/to "Unswitched AC 277V 120V COM"
Any help/assistance appreciated.
Ed B.
Bigglez

Re: Flourescent emergency lights

Post by Bigglez »

Greetings Ed,
Ed B. wrote: "EMERGI-LITE U/L LISTED 630R NYC Approved" Also - "FPSI Flourescent Emergency/normal lighting unit."
Can anyone steer me to find technical information on how this device (ballast ?) operates.
Here's the catalog data for all the Emergilite ballasts.

Basically the ballast has an internal battery, inverter,
battery charger, and change-over switch to give
uninterrupted lighting when utility power is lost.

If you kept the old (defective) unit you could open it
for a closer inspection. The internal battery pack or
inverter may have died. I doubt you can service it,
and it might be sealed in some way (potted).

Comments Welcome!
Ed B.

Post by Ed B. »

Pete,
Thank you for your reply. The small schematic on the body of the device kinda led me to believe that there wasa no external battery and that it was fed from an "Unswitched Source."
Your explanation clears up a lot in my head.
TNX again.
Ed B.