Does this site benefit from Nuts n Volts subscriptions?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MrAl

Does this site benefit from Nuts n Volts subscriptions?

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

Does this site benefit from any Nuts n Volts mag subcriptions?
In other words, do proceeds from mag sales help this site in any way?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Larry Lemieux

Post by Larry Lemieux »

There is no direct relationship, such as if a percentage of sales were to go to support the site. However, the costs of running the site, as well as other magazine related expenses, are paid from the same pot that subscription sales contributes to. So, in that way, the answer is yes.

Does that answer?
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Ok, yeah , i guess it does.
So i guess getting a subscription would slightly help the forum then.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Larry, this is a subject that has always caught my curiosity, and it may be none of my business, but .....

A magazine gains revenue from subscriptions and from advertizing,. I'm curious as to the percentages that the two contribute to a magazine. It's obvious that the publication and distribution costs of a mag like Electronic Design, which is really advertising-driven, is covered by the ads. ED has a completely different reader base, so I'm certainly not suggesting that all mags, whether N&V or Readers' Digest could or even should be that way.

I've always been under the impression that subscription amounts could never cover the costs of a magazine's production and distribution, but there is one woodworking magazine out there that contains zero advertising and yet still has a reasonable subscription cost. I wonder how they can do that?

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Yes Dean- WOODSMITH! Without a doubt has the finest plans of any wood magazine I have ever seen. For years they actually had no color added (and for their format I wish they would have kept it that way). I think they have a small overhead as compared to other magazines and get their subscription base from the pure quality of the few articles that they publish each month. In fact I just renewed my subscription for the N'th time.