motherboard questions

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lexpro_1957

motherboard questions

Post by lexpro_1957 »

i recently installed a different mother board in a old win98 233mhz pc. i need this pc to run some windows programs that wont run in xp. i was able to get the mother board installed with the exception of the pci card and the ecp printer port. when i check these devices in device manager i have the yellow warning labels next to:
Display Adapters:
PCI VGA Compatible Display Adapter<p>Other Devices:
ECP Printer Port
PCI Card<p>Universal Serial Bus Controller:
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller<p>All of these devices say that the drivers has not been installed. i was wanting to know what is creating this situation/ or where can i find the drivers for these devices all but the ecp printer port seem to be related to the pci card.<p>--------------------<p>Mike
Mike
Chris Smith

Re: motherboard questions

Post by Chris Smith »

If you carried over your hard drive from the old to the new with the old drivers, you could get lucky. Otherwise all PCI devices except a few, need drivers installed for the system to operate. <p>A lot of these device drivers can be found on the web at the company web site, or at “Drivers Dot Com”.<p> A few items like “WinModems” don’t require a driver, because they use a windows protocol to make them work. <p>The printer port can be loaded using windows disk, and using the “NEW Hard ware” installation in the control pannel.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Please only post the question once. this is about a computer, so post it only in the computer section.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

You don't state the brand of motherboard or the version of Win98. But my guess is that it is not Second Edition. <p>What you will most likely need is the PCI Bridge driver. It's been a long time since I've had to do this so I may not recall everything correctly. But PII and newer, Celerons, and certain chipsets of other processors you need a special driver/patch for Windows 95 and 98. The patch, if I recall correctly, is in Win98SE.<p>Go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer. Look for the downloads, specifically the PCI BRIDGE driver. Alternately you might need to download the CHIPSET driver. If you have an Intel Chipset you can many times get the driver from Intel that should work with most motherboards.<p>After you download the driver and install it, you must DELETE the ENUM\HARDWARE key from the Windows registry. This will make Windows rediscover everything. If this is a fresh install, no problems. If this is something you need to work with, you take your own risks in doing this. I have had very few problems deleting the hardware key but I have had problems. <p>Good Luck
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Solidus

Post by Solidus »

A great site is driverguide.com but you have to register with them. It free and definitly worth it. A very extensive database.<p>Good Luck!