looking for an advice regarding research paper

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Human

looking for an advice regarding research paper

Post by Human »

Hi everybody
Since I have been asked by my professors to make a research paper talking about "College's Students' Need for a Web Site", I became dizzy. I keep looking for experiences, resources and opinions regarding this subject but unfortunately Nothing I have found. Therefore, I will be so pleased if I got any help or told about a web site or forum dealing with this issue or research in general.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Re: looking for an advice regarding research paper

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Human,<p>Best advice I can give to you is to search other student web pages to see what they have done, maybe that will clue you in to why its important for students to have them. I found web pages for students going to Haverford that might be a good place to look.
http://www.students.haverford.edu/<p>Also Found Harvard student webpages, I bet thats a good place as well...
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/directory/index.php<p>I would assume the best reason is to list all your achievements you have accomplished in your life. And maybe to help as a resume for your career your going into. Its also a good place for others to see how creative you are.<p>Good Luck.
Myk. :cool:<p>[ April 20, 2005: Message edited by: Myk(Web-Guy) ]</p>
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

You're having difficulty because your topic is an opinion not a well accepted notion.<p>You probably will not find any articles about that particular subject. You should formulate an explanation (your own opinion)for your topic explaning why, how and what and use websites as examples to support YOUR ideas not templates upon which to write your paper based on someone elses ideas.<p>These examples may include other student websites, classroom links, study guides, Q&A forums etc. The point is that the content of these examples will not be about "College Student's need for a website" but actual uses of websites by college students.<p>You may be missing the point. Sounds like your professor is trying to get you to come up with something original and thought provoking not just a rehash of a bunch or web pages. Your wasting time looking for an easy way out, the solution is to be original and say what YOU think.
philba

Post by philba »

chuckle... too bad he didn't assign a paper on the value of doing original research. I would have had fun with that posting...<p>I am mightly resisting climbing up on a soapbox.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

"College's Students' Need for a Web Site."<p>I don't even know what that means. Some of you have replied as though it means a web site a student makes to advertise himself. OK, but other things it makes me think of are what would go into a site that students might need. That is a site the student would go to rather than one he advertises on. Or does it mean something like what kind of sites do students need? Or is it about there not being a site for students and they collectively need one - sort of an online lobbying effort.<p>In any case, Human, try a little plain old fashioned work. Go talk to a bunch of students and make notes of their needs in a web site. Or if the potential site is for employers to see, then ask a bunch of employers what they would want included in such a site, and what they do not want to waste their time on.
jwax

Post by jwax »

"Human"- Like I asked you last month when you posted the same lame vague question, I am wondering, "What school do you attend"? :confused:
WA2RBA
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

What does this thread have to do with "Nuts and Volts" anyway? For the most part, this group is not composed of web page designers, college professors - this is an ELECTRONICS HOBBY FORUM! For what it's worth Human needs help with...My research topic as I mentioned before will be about Students' need fro a web site. In other wards, what could a web site add to the students?
Will it be useful for them?
Can it help them to improve their levels?
What kind of role does it play with them?
Will it make learning or studying easier for them?
In addition, I am looking for experiences of others especially regarding education.
I am really in a mess and waiting for you.
Human, what DID you do all month long anyhow (besides waiting for us)?
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

If a person needs help with something, why not post it here? It doesn't hurt. This forum usually has intelligent people posting answers to hard questions. Maybe Human thinks someone here could help him... Maybe he is right! I see a lot of good posts for such a a vague question. I'm sure it helped him out a little. Its like my teachers always told me, "There is no stupid Question" . ;)
terri

Post by terri »

Uh-oh. I see philba's mighty resistance crumbling... Yep, he's putting on his climbing shoes.... :)
terri wd0edw
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I'm wondering what those teachers would've said if a student asked grammer questions in math class, history questions in science class, and geography questions in phys ed.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

They would have probably said "Thats a good question". Or Maybe they would have helped find the answer...
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

It is a bit off topic. At least it should have been in the computer section if on this website.<p>I was wondering if this topic was just written on the blackboard or if it were personally assigned or just suggested. :eek: <p>If it were my assignment I might be tempted to turn it around and postulate that websites are not needed for college learning and cite examples of abuse like massive MP3 file sharing from university servers, test answers websites designed for cheating, ability to find and pay ghost writers for assignments, use of WAP browsers and email in class for cheating, gaming all night on a university supplied PC, sorority girls voyeur sites, etc.<p>[ April 21, 2005: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Human said "Really I chose a topic" - in the March thread.
Sorry if I came across as rude. I try to be helpful and not too judgemental most of the time.
For some reason the repeat of the March question tried my patience. It sounds like no progress at all was made in a month's time. I'll try to keep a lid on it - unless I manage to think of some helpful advice, of course.
Dave
coldape

Post by coldape »

Human wrote:Hi everybody
Since I have been asked by my professors to make a research paper talking about "College's Students' Need for a Web Site",... Therefore, I will be so pleased if I got any help or told about a web site or forum dealing with this issue or research in general. <p>Human, You may want to check out del.icio.us it is a searchable community bookmark service. The idea is post sites of relational topics for sharing. An optional service the site offers is a rss feed. Students may create a site with a common password so everyone can share there research on sites together .
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

Human,<p>Most of my college work involved using text books but, as we all know, the web is great for doing research. <p>I'm not sure I understand what sort of info you are looking for but www.sparknotes.com is one website that I found very valuable to get me through the literature classes I had to take. <p>No...I didn't just read the summaries of the books from this site instead of reading the whole book. A lot of students did this though. Sparknotes is great for explaining themes and "hidden" meanings of stories to people like me who are more interested in science than literature. <p>I hope this helps.