Enerjar

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Enerjar

Post by jwax »

Cool! Your very own PIC wattmeter!
http://www.enerjar.net/ :grin:
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

neet...but i wish that there was one like the kill-a-watt that retained memory after it was unplugged.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Agreed dacflyer! Sounds like a challenge for any PIC brains out there!
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

well most PIC's have a built-in eeprom..
Unlike TI's MSP's .. shouldn't be hard to do.

Hmmmm

Add a serial port or SD card to log power usage over a time period.
Add a multicolor segment display to signal over usage.

Now that would be neat!

You can look at my projects here www.sambuchi.net
dwiel

Post by dwiel »

I love all of the ideas here; Luckily we are still in active development so new ideas can be implemented and integrated into the design!

I'll look into how the kill-a-watt handles the interface for storing power usage over time, even when being unplugged. EEPROM should work here, and is already being used to store software calibration values. We really wanted to make this as simple as possible, hence a single knob for all controls, so the real challenge is designing the most simple interface for all of these extra features.

Also, if you have any more ideas, please feel free to post them here or under any of the comments sections scattered around the EnerJar webpage. We will be checking both.

Serial output: it would definitely be possible, however is not going to be high on the TODO list. The PIC we are using has a very easy serial out interface made just for this purpose. We would love to get some more advanced forks of the design for people with more technical background.

Same goes with the SD card. I wouldn't want this in the general user design for cost and simplicities sake, however a fork with these kinds of mods would be wonderful.

We're trying to get the design finalized and kits together, we'll see where to go after that.

Thanks for all of the input, it really helps!

-
Zach Dwiel
jwax

Post by jwax »

Welcome, Zach! Glad you joined us, and took the time to comment while you're in the busy mode of product development!
To be clear, the Kill-A-Watt does not retain any data after it's unplugged, much to the dismay of some users. We'd like a wattmeter that did offer that option.
How about an X10 interface? Housewiring could send the realtime data to your PC. Perhaps even multi-channels?
John