Portable GPS on commercial flight

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Question....
How does TSA treat these devices? I would be more concerned about getting past security as it working on a plane. Do they even care?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
MicroRem

GPS

Post by MicroRem »

GPS is not a prohibited item, so it is not an issue. If they can't determine what an object is by X-Ray they will perform an ETD (Explosives Trace Detection) test to make sure its not an explosive device.

I carry mine on all the time and have never had a problem, and I fly commercial quite a bit.

Regards

Tom
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Thanks for all the replies and info. I lucked out with a window seat on both flights. Things worked great with it sitting on my knee nearest the window. No problems with screening or during the flight. Best $20 I could have spent (EBay). I even managed to bring a few dollars back with me from Las Vegas too! Thanks for all the input, Dave