Remember Valves?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bodgy

Remember Valves?

Post by bodgy »

This is worth 17 minutes and 11 seconds of your life.

From the PicList.

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3wrz ... riode_tech

This reminds a little of Radio Constructor (long gone) in the UK, who had a build your own oscilloscope project (3 or 4 issues) using surplus Philips BP something or others ex-radar tubes.

Two issues were just about making the metal chassis and case - metal bashing was IN!

Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
chribec2

Post by chribec2 »

:grin: Certainly brought back memories!! "Valve" was coined by the Brit's to describe the first vacuum tube - a diode -
learned my electronics maintenance AFTER I became a civilian (I know - DUMB! - I could have done it for free while
I was still in, but, I was looking at the glory of the moment - operations) in the late 60's and early 70's. That was a
period of change from 'tubes to transistors - had to learn them both! It was sad to see all the American co.'s get out of
making 'tubes but the Russians are right in the thick of things. Most 'tubes come from them now. Also, most high powered
audio amps are going back to 'tubes - when transistors saturate, they start clipping the upper and lower portions of
the waveform producing 'buzz', 'fuzz', etc. whereas 'tubes start to flatten the peaks but never quite get it flat, thus, they
produce that 'warm' sound. Well, you learn a lot even after you go to work. Spent 14 years as an E.T. in Manned Space-
Flight for ground control - mostly tape recorders and T.V. systems. Still fool around with my C-64 (even though I'm
composing this on my iMAC). I'm a machinist now - and I still can't get away from the space program!! Oh,well - lots
of memories and future projects; we shall carry on! You do good work, sir - you're hired!!