Laser Madness

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Laser Madness

Post by jwax »

What the world really needs- a laser pointer with devastating power!
I want one! :)
http://www.wickedlasers.com/videos.php
WA2RBA
dyarker

Re: Laser Madness

Post by dyarker »

Perfect for getting shot by police if you live near an airport!
Dale Y
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

www.amazing1.com advertises in Nuts&Volts Mag and has plans for a laser pistol that can burn things at a distance. You might be able to ramp up the power based on one of their designs. Actually, I'd like to have a disappearing ray for when my mother in law comes over, of course I'd use it on myself!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

We used to have to lug around a huge power supply to get those specs.

That and a 120 volt invertor.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This is not directed at anyone in particular but to the bonehead mistakes that people will make with these things....

Some boneheads will be.....
Shot by police, shot by FBI, labeled as a terroist, blinded by accident. A lapse in securing these will result in someone playing with them. The results: injured kids if you have them, injurerd friend thinking this is a safe toy.... The list goes on.

I always wondered why fireworks were banned in my state. They always showed the plastic hand, faces, etc. getting blown off with big fireworks on the news around July 4th. The simple solution, ban sales to minors. Then I saw parents on TV actually saying they had no idea the fireworks they gave their kids were dangerous and the kid got hurt. The big rocket and exploding fireworks are illegal here and a 12 year old does not have a drivers license. So the parents HAD to drive them across the state line to buy fireworks. When the kid screws up, the parents claim they had no clue.

Now some kid will want one of these lasers to shine at other kids and try and blind them. When confronted the parents will say they had no idea these things were dangerous. Or they will shine them at airplanes and cause a TSA issue. Mind you as a kid I shined flashlights at airplanes. (I lived nine miles from ORD along the extended center line for two of their main runways.) I had no chance of hitting them but I tried. Now with these you can believe it will happen. And they will be banned. Just like potato cannons are in some areas.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love one myself. But the risks are too great to me.

Like the old saying goes....
* Before prison
O After prison.

No thank you.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
jwax

Post by jwax »

I hope the things don't get in irresponsible hands either, but then again, how long do you think before the devices get in the "hack" and "build-it-yourself" literature?
Like guns, pyro and booze, they're out there.
God Bless America.
WA2RBA
ian

Post by ian »

I remember I was working on a project with laser pointers. i had a few extra and was giving them away. I told this one woman, be careful not to point it in someone's eyes. She was a responsible person but through sheer dopeyness it wasn't 5 minutes later some guy had his hands over his eyes.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I only worry about the $5.00 laser pointer, any kid can afford one and purchase one.

Ive seen moron parents give them to their five year old to play with.

$100 lasers have a way of staying out of the majority's hands by cost alone.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Originally posted by Chris Smith:
I only worry about the $5.00 laser pointer, any kid can afford one and purchase one.

Ive seen moron parents give them to their five year old to play with.

$100 lasers have a way of staying out of the majority's hands by cost alone.
Chris,

Very true; right now.

In 1990 I was trying very hard to win a RED laser pointer by entering a contest/drawing as they were over $100 ($130 I believe was the sale price). In 1995 I bought four laser pens for just under $100 (for all four, not each). This was the two AA battery sized pen style. The same one that in 1990 cost $130 was only $23 five years later. Today it is about $10 at ham fest and flea markets; retail about $12. Key chain versions have been sold for as little as a dollar.

Most people get the $5 red key chains and that is fine. The red ones are relatively safe and quite enjoyable. I like to make cats go bonkers, shine it through a snowstorm, or look at the neat line it makes in the fog. I see the price of these powerful green ones coming down to the point where every Beavis and Butt-head will be able to buy one. In 1990 the red ones where in very select few places and kept behind locked glass doors. Now you find them at the check out counter of the gas station.

Unless I missed something in the design of these, their price will come down. I probably should not state my real fear in this as it may give someone bad ideas. As far as the "hack" literature, some sellers are including the modification sheets with the sale. Some will even mod them for you.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Jolly

We invented most pranks, if not caused new laws to be created against them, back when no laser were available to the general public unless they were very rich, or like us could build a gas laser from scratch.

We did it all, safe and dangerous, sane and stupid, including what is today completely and federally illegal.

I nailed more cops from a very safe distance, than any video game available today and watched them hit the floor using high power telescopes to see our achievements.

However, two miles or more is a very safe distance to do this from, something a battery operated laser today cant possible achieve. [except these new ones?]

When the swat team arrived, we were long gone.

In fact, Im not sure they didn’t pass new laws after what we did? I read of one, one year later.

We use to shine them in the rear view mirror of cars hogging the road,... very fast like a flickering red light from the cops just to get the slow poke moron ahead of us to exit the road, thinking a cop was on his tail.

My favorite was to illuminate the Stop sign in a blinking mode, brighter than the sun reflecting back at you, at 2:10 am when all the drunks left the bar. A gas 17mw HeNe will do this at one mile or five just the same.

The cops only needed a butterfly net to round up the drunks as they would exit their car, looking for the wires on the pole powering a stop sign with lights?

We used to nail the TOP GUN school down in Southern California, only to be visited by the Military police who said it was ok by them, because it kept their pilots on their toes.

Today, we have a different world full of different people and different circumstances, and what I worry most about is the moron who thinks any laser directly in the EYE is either cool or safe.

I received minor eye damage from a 5 MW [gas]laser and less than 1/10 of a second worth of stray reflection after bouncing off five mirrors and over one hundred yards of distance, which did little lasting damage to the eye,..... but what a migraine.

Today, we have prolific little dangerous lasers that will most likely be the culprits of tomorrow.

Yes, as the dollar devalues and good lasers drop in price, I would hate to see kids with THESE laser in their mitts.

And NO, I hope no kids read what I have done and try to copy it.

<small>[ January 20, 2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</small>
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

That is old, Makes me wonder if a laser blaster is protected by the 2nd amendment (LOL)