PCB Software

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Hello

PCB Software

Post by Hello »

Does anyone know of a decent piece of software to draw pc-board layouts that will run under Windows 98SE?
I'm interested in single-sided, through-hole, with DIP and common transistor patterns.
Everything I've seen in the past is not practical, too cumbersome to use, requires switching to another screen for a parts library, won't do more than one or two DIP's, is a pc-resources hog, has a non-standard library, or requires a Postscript-enabled printer, etc., etc.
If anyone actually has used such a program to build an honest-to-goodness real circuit, I would appreciate some info.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Try Express PCB. They advertise in Nuts & Volts. They have a free CAD program you can down load.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

We use Easy-PC. It is a UK product and has US distribution.
It will do whatever you need, including multi layers and auto route.

We looked at Express PC when it first came out. Doesn't it require you to use their service? Seems like if you printed the layout there was something overprinted so you couldn't use the artwork. If I'm wrong, Let me know!

Hope this helps.

Len
wd5gnr

Post by wd5gnr »

Personally, I prefer EagleCAD. See www.cadsoftusad.com. Takes a little learning but very powerful.

FreePCB is pretty good too.

Al Williams
http://www.awce.com/gp3ez <--- new stuff
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Kicad's quite nice and it is totally free, but only works on XP and 2K and above.

Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Hello

Climate Controller

Post by Hello »

Colin:

I was just browsing over your climate controller. It looks kind of interesting.
I have a 200 W (120VAC) heat mat I've been thinking of using. It has no control, just heats up (resistance wire in a thin mat).
Have you actually put your control to use?

Thanks.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Other than using it as a temperature guage no. However, it is being used by others. There is someone in Brazil who uses it for his mushroom shed.

In fact I've updated the software specifically for them.
Hello

Heat Mat Control

Post by Hello »

Bodgy:

For the ap I was considering, the control would apply power to the heat mat between a temp of perhaps 45F and approximately 82-85F. If the temp rose more than 10F above the max temp, an output would be latched to activate audio/visual alarms (piezo/flashing LED's or xenon).
Of course, the sensor would be sensing soil, or soil-like medium temps and would need to be water and dirt-proof.
I had browsed a few solid state relays and noticed a 5 Amp one from Crydom with zero cross that looked as if it might fill the bill.

Just considering a few possiblilities.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

We seem to have hijacked another thread - I'll reply via PM later.

Colin
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

For what it's worth, AC circuits has just started offering a PCB layout s/w with Schematic entry here www.PCBArtist.com It's supposedly free but....

I haven't tried it and you have to make an initial order from them before it is completely unlocked (something about unlimited gerber files after first order). Nor is AC the cheapest FAB but they are somewhat competitive especially for new customers.
Karel

Re: PCB Software

Post by Karel »

I have used eagle cad that does have a learning curve and recently I have started using DipTrace. The free version of DipTrace can be downloaded from http://www.diptrace.com/download.php