BGA's for DIY

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dave Dixon

BGA's for DIY

Post by Dave Dixon »

Does anyone have any experience with BGA chips? I am looking at using a 16 pin BGA, but wondering how to mount it on a PCB. My first thought was to "dead-bug" it. Lay it on its back, glue it down to the PCB, and run hookup wire to the legs.
My next thought was to solder some cut off resistor leads to the balls, and then just mount it like a thruhole device.
My last thought is to use solder paste, an oven, or heatgun to mount it in the conventional way. I can make my own boards, and have the patience to try all of these methods, but would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience doing hobby work with BGA chips.
Thanks for any ideas! BTW - Happy Holidays too.
Dave
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Dave.
Being only 16 pin is an advantage in the BGA nightmare. If your junkbox has no adapter $ockets, I would follow your first suggestion, but on a separate piece of fiberglass, a glued 'dead bug' wired to a 16 pin DIP plug; and a plain 16 pin socket on the main board. In other words, building your own BGA-to-DIP adapter board.
At least can give you some ideas... :smile:
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Thanks Miguel, I'll keep that in mind and let you all know what ends up working the best. I can't wait for more suggestions!
Dave
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

There are adapter sockets available for SMD to DIP, but you won't like the prices. If still interested, let me know and I will try and find their website. I was just on it a couple of days ago.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I've bought - and even made - some SMD to DIP adaptors in the past. That would still leave me the same problem. What is the best way for me to solder a BGA to a board? Thanks!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Forget about soldering directly to the balls. 16 pins isn't much but in my experience it also comes on the fine pitch package like 0.8mm or 1.0mm pitch. Hard enough to see let alone solder to.

A Thru hole adapter (BGA to DIP or whatever) is your best bet.

Soldering should be as straightforward as applying a bit of of flux and heating the board to reflow temp in a taoster oven. A golldbody finish on the board should be compatible with leaded and no lead BGAs.

There should be plenty about soldering BGA in production facilities on the web. If you understand that process, you should have no problem emulating that on a small scale using an oven. You won't want solder paste unless you have a silkscreen to apply it. The BGA balls are solder.

Sockets from Plastronics (www.locknest.com) are often under $100 for lower pin count (<100) and for this might be in the $40 range per piece. For BGA sockets though, you trade a SMT for a fine pitch thru hole problem, still can't really solder pin to pin. Unlinke other sockets, the pins do not flare out to a larger footprint on BGA sockets.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Thanks Hackles, (Whoops - Thanks to you too Robert) That is exactly the type of information I was seeking! I haven't done any other research yet. From past experience it seems best to get some hints from people like us, as I'm sure I'll have to sift through a ton of info when I start really looking on the big old WWW! This site rocks,
Dave
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I just happened to quote a BGA 16 pin recently with 1.0mm pitch and the price was $198 each so that might be a bit pricy. Its a nice socket tho
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Thanks for all of the advice! I got the sample in the mail and have since decided to go with a different part in a 4.4mm TSSOP. I can solder one of those!!! That BGA is SOOO tiny! I'm pretty steady handed, but no way could I dead-bug it and solder any wires to those miniature connections. Living and learning, Dave
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

That BGA16 is also considered a CSP package (Chip- Scale-Package) so it is not much larger that the IC die inside it. BGAs are great for high volume compact devices but are useless for hand assembly.

For contrast I also quoted a 10 pin MSOP (4x4mm, 0.5mm pitch) and they were only $4.30 each min qty 10. I was so suprised, I asked the vendor to confirm the price. That was Wells-CTI (UMDtech)

I have an adapter to fit that TSSOP but I'd have to charge you too much. www.Emulation.com is the best place for adapters if they have what you need in their product list. For parts under 40 pins, look at the programming adapters. Drawings and pricing online. It's still generally cheaper to design your own small 2 layer adapter boards and buy 5 at proto pricing
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Thanks but I'll be fine with the new part. No adaptor needed. I'm cutting my own PCB, and can handle that footprint fine. ET is one of our vendors. They have great products, but are berry, berry proud of them!!