clock light

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

clock light

Post by frhrwa »

another good question, I'd like to buy the CraftMade outdoor standing clock model TH025-05, but it has no light in either side... can a round neon tube be installed in one of these? I guess someone would have to know more about it than me, I can't even find the main CraftMade website to ask them.. but hate to buy it if I can't lite it.. it would make a great post lamp at the entry.. really don't understand someone making something like this without a light in it.. thanks.. wayne
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

I Googled "craftmade" and it was the 3rd hit. They have a contact link and a customer support link.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

without being able to have a really good close up look at the clock, i think this might be a job for leds, maybe located at each hour interval..
12 leds in all....
just an idea .
neon would not work good in cold weather, they become very dim, especially with a small whimpy electronic power supply..

if you use leds, you might be able to make it solar powered,
jwax

Post by jwax »

The clock is battery powered. That gives you a reason why it is not lighted.
Mount two outdoor spotlights on the ground near it, or wonder what time it is at night.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

[The clock is battery powered. That gives you a reason why it is not lighted. Mount two outdoor spotlights on the ground near it, or wonder what time it is at night. ]

If its battery powered, then I could put a transformer/converter in it to run on a/c? maybe use nicads or rechargeables for back-up when/if the power went off, and use the a/c to run the LED's mentioned above? Would rather have a ring of lights rather than the single at each hour tho, sure would like to get my hands on one long enough to look inside to see what kind of room it has for accomodating this.. thanks tho, lots of good ideas.. the ones at the banks have lights in them, more wanted it like a post lamp novelty than just a clock sitting their quietly, and dark.. [/quote]
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Use solar spotlights. I got these for my mom for Mother's Day. She has them on a Virgin Mary statue in her back yard and on a tree. In winter they don't last too long (shorter charge time, colder temp on batteries, longer nights). But in summer the spot light could still be seen near day break. (The ten hour claim is not too far from reality.)

Here's the spotlight set I got her:
http://www.malibulights.com/index.php?a ... &pid=lz413

At the big box home center these were under $30 in the spring. Online I see prices of $32 to $45 for the same set. Possibly you could take the solar idea and mount something inside the clock face. Maybe four LEDs in a ring around each face.

As JWAX suggested spotlights can be used as well. I suggest low voltage 50 watt floods as they should do the trick. This is what I have on my flag pole. With two 50 watt floods the flag 20 feet up in the air is nicely lit. Don't worry about powering the clock with AC or a DC power pack. Use a battery for the clock. Get an outdoor lighting transformer (these are 12V) and get one in the proper wattage. They come in small 44 watt range up to several hundred watts. Some are timer based, others use photocells. I ususally mount my transformers in the garage or house and run the wiring outside. This way the transformer is protected from the elements (and it keeps the spiders out).

Instead of spotlights, if you are willing, you might be able to put lights behind the face of the clocks. I don't know how these clocks are made but a few 12V lamps in sockets behind a plastic face might light up nicely. Otherwise you could put lights inside the clock in front of the face.

Good luck.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

sun comes up late, and sets early up here.. and actually, haven't seen it in over a month.. snows a lot and cloudy most of the winter.. I'm above Spokane in WA up near the 49th parallel ski area.. not sure solar floods would work very long up here in the winter, plus they would be under a couple foot of snow most of the winter.. can't get a response from the manufacturer re: what the face is made of, metal or plastic, or even if a light could be put inside.. the 12v or LED idea makes a lot of sense and if there is room around the face for the light to come out, that might light the face also.. I guess I'll have to go down to the store, get a chair, and look at the thing real close to see as much as I can.. I guess there has to be a way to light it if I buy it..
jwax

Post by jwax »

For more ideas on lighting-
http://www.beingseen.com/index.html
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa,

Is this the clock?

http://www.csnclocks.com/Craftmade-TH02 ... rodDetails

Craftmade makes some lighting kits.
But the site doesn't state if they have one for this clock.
You will probably need to talk with them direct.
1-(800) 406-7982

Hope this helps!:)

Signed:Janitor Tzap
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

yep.. that's the clock, but the lighting kits Craftmade is referring to are the ones that go beneath their ceiling fans..
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

jwax wrote:For more ideas on lighting-
http://www.beingseen.com/index.html

I took a look at this lighting, very interesting, they don't say how bright, so I emailed for more info... this might work if it puts out enough light .. thanks.. I can think of other places I can use this also, may buy a sample to check it out.. wayne
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

what about rope light.. some places you can buy it by the foot or small sections..
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

frhrwa wrote:sun comes up late, and sets early up here.. and actually, haven't seen it in over a month.. snows a lot and cloudy most of the winter.. I'm above Spokane in WA up near the 49th parallel ski area.. not sure solar floods would work very long up here in the winter
{SNIP}
I read your description and it said Las Vegas, NV so I assumed solar would be a good option. My solar lights are buried right now as well and are not working. Ice storm and snow this past Saturday, four inches of snow on Tuesday, and as I type this (Thursday night) it is snowing. My poor little solar lights are not going to work for a while. My 50W low voltage flood lights have nice melted areas around the base of the flag pole though.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
frhrwa

bummer

Post by frhrwa »

oops, have to update my profile, I'm in Deer Park, WA... up north .. cold.. anyway, the bad news is, the clock is sealed for outdoor use, the batter compartment is seperate down below.. they said if you break the seal, you void the warranty and all that. plus doubted that anything would fit inside, although LED's are mighty small, anyway, now I'm looking around for another replacement outdoor fixture (clock) WITH lights already in it.. somewhere, somebody has one.. I hope
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

big digital led clock/temp comes to mind...heehee