New Scope Opinion

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
murph1083

New Scope Opinion

Post by murph1083 »

I am looking to get a new scope and have narrowed it down to two possible choices. A Tek 1002B and an Agilent DSO3062. Has anyone had experence with these scopes? They both are 60MHz, same sample rate.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

As a former Navy PMEL (calibration technician) who immediately fell in love with Tektronix and Hewlett-Packard-made USM-140 scopes and a former Tektronix bench technician in Oklahoma City, I'd say that either one is a good scope. Sampling rate is usually the key factor.

The only reason for not going for the Agilent scope is that it wasn't made by Hewlett-Packard, i.e., when hp decided to split the two areas of the company up, they should have retained the original hp name for the T&M line (after all, it was what gave birth to the company) and given the newer computer line the Agilent name. But, I'm sure they were shooting for the mass marketing at Wal-Mart and Office Depot of their PCs and didn't want to confuse customers in that high margin product line.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jm

Post by jm »

I've been think of getting a PC/USB based scope. Yes I'm aware of some limitations. Do either of you have any experience with them or opinions