Battery replacement

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
webster

Battery replacement

Post by webster »

The battery on my older camcorder died. The replacement battery listed by after market battery sellers is a nmhi type. The original battery was of nicad design. Will my old charger properly charge the nhmi design?
The charger has an open circuit voltage of about 10V. The battery is rated at1.2A at 6 volts.
Chris Smith

Re: Battery replacement

Post by Chris Smith »

I don’t believe it will work or work perfectly?

You can slow charge a Nickel battery but you don’t get the performance out of it like a proper charger.
russlk

Post by russlk »

My battery charger has a switch for nicad or nhmi, I don't know what the difference is.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

What I have noticed is the slow charge gives me the best result, even if it doesn’t quite fully charge to its max.

Fast charge [pulse charging] needs regulation [for the heat] and kills the battery prematurely, but, with the correct charger they do charge fast and have more capacitance than their counterpart the nicad.

I have always used a solar charger or a trickle charger to charge mine, over a day or more, and I think I get around 95% of the total charge based on my discharge time rates.

I have never purchased a fast charger but I have used them, so I cant really tell other than the rating over the time discharge.

But then, it could also just be the battery is “Over” rated and Im really am getting the max?
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

I think you will find that an overnight charger designed for C10 rate will work fine on an NIMH pack of the same capacity. NIMH cells are not very tolerant of rapid charging unless the circuit is designed for this. I recommend doing some reading on the cell manufacturer's websites or alternatively, a site such as rcuniverse.com, for an extensive discussion on batteries. try this one also: http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

best regards

Tom