Electric Motor Accessories

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Vincent

Electric Motor Accessories

Post by Vincent »

I'm looking for some pinion gears and other accessories for some electric motors I have. They have a 3/16" shaft. All I can find are parts for larger motors or small R/C motors with 1/4" shaft at the largest. <p>I'm trying to build a homemade R/C vehicle or something similar with a few 1/4hp motors I have. I'll probably just use one driving the rear wheels. The main issues are finding a way to hook the motor to a set of drive wheels and figuring out how to setup the steering with a servo. <p>I'm having no luck with parts for the project. I've tried Tower Hobbies and E Hobbies. <p>Thanks for any pointers.<p>PS...I've searched Google for a more than a few hours regarding this. ;)<p>[ April 17, 2005: Message edited by: Vincent ]</p>
Chris Smith

Re: Electric Motor Accessories

Post by Chris Smith »

Try All Electronics, possibly Fair radio sales, and C&H sales? [or something like C&H?]
philba

Post by philba »

yeah, small gears are a PITA to find. The surplus houses (like all, goldmine) sometimes have gears but its pretty hit or miss with them.<p>A couple of places to look:
http://www.smallparts.com/
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/default.asp<p>neither are cheap and some times breathtakingly expensive but both have a good selection.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Two gear catalogs that I remember from past years are Boston Gear (bostongear.com) and PIC (www.pic-design.com). They are not likely to be cheap, but they do have extensive catalogs.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

You might also consider a belt or chain drive in the 1/4 horsepower range. Gears require tight mechanical tolerances and accurately parallel shafts. Belts and chains are a little more tolerant.
terri

Post by terri »

Maybe I'm reading the query wrong, but doesn't he just need adapter bushings?<p>If so, what's the inside/outside diameters of such things as brake line tubing, copper tubing, brass "hobby" tubing at the hobby or hardware store?<p>I must be reading the problem wrong. Yes? No?<p>Forgive me, but I'm only up to my fourth cup of coffee this AM.<p>[ April 18, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi Vincent,
Here is a place I have used in the past...
Grainger Supply House Motors and Accesories
Good luck,
Dave
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

What about Stock Drive Products?
"Who is John Galt?"
peter-f

Post by peter-f »

Does Berg carry these sizes?
http://www.wmberg.com/
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

The 2nd link from Philba and Grainger both seems to have an extensive collection of parts. I found plenty that will fit the shaft.<p>I guess I'll use a chain drive. I never would've thought a sprocket could have so many specs. :eek: