DVD Question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

DVD Question

Post by dacflyer »

can DVD's here inthe states be used in europe and vice versa ?

i know that VHS videos have different formats NTSC and PAL
but are all computerised videos the same format or not as far as DVD's go ?

we can share MPEG AVI's etc over the net and share such files if trade, but i am not sure of DVD's he got some videos we want to share etc. when i go there again for vacation..
jwax

Post by jwax »

Check out- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
There's tricks to be played with players to cheat them into playing "non-region" DVD's. That was a few years ago, maybe the recording industry fixed that leak by now though.
Hey! If I could trouble you, would you take some pics of those amazing huge solar power projects in Germany? :grin:
philba

Post by philba »

If you are displaying on a computer monitor, you can play anything. The pal vs ntsc issue is about the TV format. It is the DVD player that defines that.

there is another issue that has to do with region code. A region 1 player isn't supposed to play a region 2 disc, for example. The good news is there are lots of hacks to get around this.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

JWAX - if you wanna see a huge solar array, in my home town.. look at google earth and search a town called Fürth , it is next to Nürnberg
they built a 2MW solar array on top of a hill, which used to be a land fill, now they harvest methane from the hill also..at the top of this hill is a look out / picnic area, and signs that tell how far it is to the next country
pretty cool if i say so myself, also airplanes fly right overhead as they come in to land in Nürnberg.
my hometown ( Fürth ) is called the solar city ,because of all the solar thez use, theres several other houses that have their houses covered with solar panels
Fürth is also celebrating their 1,000th anniversary :D

in foto "plus0054" , that house has 5,760 watts worth of solar on it..they sell this power to the city (buy back program) goverment sponsored also.

and heres the fotos below

enjoy :)
jwax

Post by jwax »

Wow! Thanks dacflyer! Huge array!
I see there's a Siemens plant nearby- is that where the PV panels are from? Beautiful country too! Complete with an aquaduct! :grin:

[/img]
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

yes theose are Siemens panels, and that aquaduct is strange,,its routes over hiways, its all man made

check out the other water bridges - http://www.snopes.com/photos/architectu ... bridge.asp
its like a water hiway..
jwax

Post by jwax »

Thanks again dacflyer!
No wonder there's a silicon shortage! hehe.
One last question- Do you know when that Solar array was built?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

no, but i am sure i can find out for you..my uncle works for a division of siemens there "infra" its like a utility company. he deals a lot with the meters etc. calibrating testing etc.

boy we have really went off on a tangent here..lol
but its all good,,:D were still keeping it sort of related to electronics,

oh, BTW at the foot of the hill at the solar park is a billboard that displays how much power is being made currently,,,how much had been produced that week, and how much for the month, and what time there was peak power that day.. pretty interesting.

the town now also has street lighting that is reduced at night,, typically 2 lights on a pole,either mercury lamps or dual 4' flourescent lamps
late at night one of the lamps will turn off..reducing power by 1/2, and still be a decent ammount of light.. they figgure who needs full power lights after midnight ;)
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I'll bet the star-gazers appreciate that as well! That is one thing I enjoyed about Fort Myers, FL on my last vacation. They have a law to keep lights on the beach at a minimum. I guess the sea turtles get confused, thinking the lights are the "moon". Well that is stretching the topic enough I guess. Back to designing my PCB!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Last last question: Is it true that at night, during a full moon, the power output indicates a few kilowatts output from moonlight?
I'm in the PV industry, and that is waay amazing! :grin:
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

yes it is.. i remember one night i was there, no moon light , and the power indicator said it was still putting out about 200 watts. not much but still interesting,, it may have been from light pollution or something cosmic.
or maybe even a strey reading,,but i do not think the system would be that flakey..
anyway i will still try to get you info on the solar park..

cheers !