Panic button

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
driving bear

Panic button

Post by driving bear »

I am looking for a Panic button type transmitter and receiver.
Something like the "I have fallen and can't get up " system as seen on TV but instead of dialing the phone one that will trigger a buzzer on a small receiver. Ideally the range should be about 1/2-1 mile .
Voice contact is not required .
I will build it from a kit it it has good instructions
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

How about already built, up to 1000ft. :
http://www.linxtechnologies.com/Product ... ansmitter/

Search on www.digikey.com for Holtek

Cheers,
Dale Y
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I was surprised to find that "I've fallen and I can't get up" is a protected (i.e., copyrighted) phrase when used in conjunction with this type of device.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I have installed the “I fell downâ€
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Hi driving bear

I have some experience with wireless controls, adapting them for industrial applications. If you need up to 1 mile range there are some issues.

Do you need 1 mile from the panic transmitter to a remote location, maybe from within a house, to another house 1 mile away.

If that is the goal, then small alarm pendants and their receivers can be used to cover the house area, and, a long range transmitter can be used to make the 1 mile hop. The packages I have used are available as multi- channel units so the system could be expanded for additional control use.

Or

Do you need to get coverage anyplace within 1 mile area.
That's more problematic sonce multiple receivers may be required for coverage and may need interconnection.

The real problem is size/power. Small, convenient sizes, like keychain transmitters are limited in their available energy to transmit great distances.

Short range system:
Range 100'+ but never 1/2 mile!
Transmitters available are 1-4 channels, belt clip and pendent with push button inputs, can be modified for contact use and are battery powered.
Receivers have contact outputs.and are 12VDC powered.

Long range system:
Range, with proper antennas are up to about 5 miles.
Transmitters have contact inputs and are 12 VDC powered
Receivers have contact output and are 12 VDC powered

Both systems are digitally coded ss there is low probability of interference.

Becuse 4 channel units are available, if a binary coding (8-4-2-1) in/out scheme is used, 15 unique inputs could be sent and received!

I don't sell this gear but can provide links if you need manufacturer's info.

Len
driving bear

Post by driving bear »

What I am looking for is a way for my neighbor who is disabled to press a button to summon help . The area I ( we) live in is very rural , ( a town of less than 350 people ) and the nearest ambulance/police is 30 minutes away. So I am looking for a way for her to have a pendant type "panic button" transmitter and a receiver with a simple buzzer that I can wear on my belt . A vibrate function would be nice since some of my farm equipment can be very noisy at times
driving bear

Post by driving bear »

P.S
where I live cell phone coverage is spotty at best
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Driving Bear:

Both transmitter and receiver, portable and battery operated, 1 mile range..That's a tall order.

Might you consider a telephone dialer and a pager? It may be better coverage than cell phones.(Yes, some people still use pagers!)

If it is to be a DIY project what about CB radio? Pick them up at flea markets for a song. Put them wherever needed. Use a 'panic' transmitter to key one transmitter at the disabled's home to send a carrier or tone burst. (fcc rules may squint their eyes at this...) If there is no other traffic on the channel, tap into the squelch of the receiver or decode the tone transmitted to operate a relay for the alarm

As an alternative how about an FRS radio's? Cheap, available and may make the mile hop. Just rig a panic system to key the radio and maybe send a tone if the radio has no alerting tone. Plenty of channels to avoid jabber. I have designed a similar keying circuit that sends tones for one person long distance cable continuity testing.

If you want to tinker with the idea, I have 4 or 5 Motorola units that I'll let go for a song, but, they do need the battery packs replaced.

Or go back to the two transmitter plan I earlier mentioned and make the long range receiver portable, built in alarm, pluging into the vehicle power or base powerat home. (or use several in strategic locations)

Whatever choices are made, the range and portability issues are still the limiting factors.

Len
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

We use the same method, the Box and pendant.

I change the batteries every six months in the main unit, the pendand battery is good for ten years.

We are lucky to have a phone service, but any wireless transmitter can do the next mile long bounce.

The Transmitter, pendant, and system has been flawless and its cheap.

Any walkie talkie of a mile or more can handle the next stage.

OR if you have phone service?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Driving Bear,

Cobra make FRS radios with ranges up to 14 miles. Some even have Vibe alert. Since most come with a speaker/mic jack, you could get one of those wireless panic buttons for in the house and wire it up to beep you on your farm. MCM lists several, but the catalog # that would best fit your needs would be #111-730, Cobra model # LI3900-2 DX VP. You can look at www.mcminone.com for #111-730. Just remember to run your neighbor's radio from a power supply, as you wouldn't want them to forget to charge it up.

Hope this helps.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?