Using Graphics Card fan in project

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Using Graphics Card fan in project

Post by Mike »

Yesterday was the tent sale at American Science and Surplus, a surplus store, and I purchased a fan there. It is made by 3dfx, so I am assuming it is a graphics processor fan, and I want to use it to cool a heatsink. The only problem I have is it has 3 wires, a black, red, and white. Which ones connect to the supply. My supply is of the split type, so I would connect it between the + and ground, right? I am running two of the fans on the heatsink. They each use 5V.<p>Thanks, Mike
russlk

Re: Using Graphics Card fan in project

Post by russlk »

Most likly the red is positive and black is negative power. The white is probably a tachometer output. Just to be safe, connect 10 ohms in series with the red or black wire and connect to 5 volts. If the fan turns, take the 10 ohms out of the circuit. If it doesn't turn, your guess is as good as any on which wire is which.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

white whire could also be a speed control for the fan..being controlled by the computer etc...
chessman

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dacflyer:
white whire could also be a speed control for the fan..being controlled by the computer etc...<hr></blockquote><p>"A" for effort, but that's not how comp speed controls work for fans. The third wire is a tach output, so the comp knows how fast the fan is going. The comp supplies a PWM voltage to the +5/+12 and GND pins, thus varrying the speed.