A bigger display for a portable gps

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
hotrodpete

A bigger display for a portable gps

Post by hotrodpete »

I want to know if it would be feasible to connect the display output of a portable gps such as the Garmin 295 (used in general aviation aircraft) to a flat-panel display scavenged from a notebook computer. The purpose would be to make the displayed data and moving terrain larger and easier to read. The display would be integrated into the intrument panel of a non-FAA certified aircraft (a home-built aircraft). How would one adjust the display dimensions ratio from the Garmin display to that of the scavenged notebook display? What other issues would one face in this application? Last, how would one find a competent hobbyist to actually carry out the solution for a few bucks? The individual interested in this topic is a pilot in the process of building his own airplane. He is a good pilot, but not very knowledgeable in electronics.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Some GPS units already have an RS 232 out put connection ready to go into a computer.

I think this is the only practical way to do it.
hp

Post by hp »

You would be better off getting a laptop or tablet PC and running a stable OS and serving as your non critical instrumentation display. There are lots of software packages that allow you to hook up a gps and display a moving map and all sorts of cool location data.

BTW, Don't you have to get FAA certification / registration for the pane before it can legally fly? I remember hearing this on some PBS show or something. I would assume there would be some sort of regulations on this stuff as I don't want a flying airplane to fall out of the sky and hit me...

Harrison
jwax

Post by jwax »

hotrodpete-
Welcome to the forum!
Although the Garmin 295 has been discontinued, there are adapters available for it to tie it RS232 to a PC.
What more do you need?
John