Who kill the electric car?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

I was surprised last night when I saw the movie

on one of my movie channels... this was the trailer..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3598627078

I am sure some of you have heard of this movie. I was thinking that this film would get more attention then going straight to STARS... or am i wrong, have you guys seen this movie anywhere else? I thought the movie was ok. It was a lot of what you saw in the previews..

I would have liked to seen this movie do better.. just to have more people aware of what took place.
jwax

Post by jwax »

I think (Sony?) did a respectable job of pointing out the shortfalls of corporate America. It was a screwup to destroy those cars. Period.
The distasteful frosting on the cake is that GM never produced any satisfactory explanation of the destruction.
To threaten leasees with "Grand Theft-auto" if they didn't turn in their cars for destruction is absurd. What was GM thinking? :?
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

If you can find one, read "The Car That Could" by Michael Shnayerson
Random House 1996. I got mine at Amazon as a used book.
Its the story of how the EV1 got to production. Not how it was killed.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

I have been reading a lot about this at Yahoo and most people got the idea that the ev-1 was destroyed because it was too dangerous to have on the road. The car went into production a long time ago and things have changed since then. They got scared to use ni-mh batteries and you see the result being Telsa motors and their li-ion powered cars. There was a Nissan Maxima that was electric and charged up using regenerative braking and it became too dangerous because people using it got stuck in traffic too often and then needed a tow. I think a bigger vehicle that could handle the space for a generator would solve that problem. Some people wanted to see if there was grounds for a class action law suit against Chevron for hindering the production of ni-mh batteries. Just not too long ago people were asking "what is the idea of free energy" so it would just take some time to get more education on the use of batteries.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The electric car is here to stay, all we have to do is first get rid of the problems in DC, the oil junkies, then fix the minor problems related to electric cars, and just move on.

Its not like there is a real choice for now.

All roads lead to Rome, no matter what other want.

Perhaps some new tech will arise, but for now electricity is it.
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

In that same time period, Toyota made an EV conversion of their
RAV4 and sold a few. Most off them are still running today.
EV1 got Nimh batteries before they got into production. But they still went into production with lead acid batteries. I think electric cars scare
gas people.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Gas cars should scare people, they need to wake up but the oil barons control their sleeping pills as well.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i so much want me a citicar !
3hp direct drive...
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

About 15 hp should be a start, for the city alone.

But Not San Francisco?

Any thing else is a power assisted bicycle.

And still expensive!