qdsp2020

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mrdevis

qdsp2020

Post by mrdevis »

Hi, i'm looking for a datasheet of this little thingy. Made by HP, it's a 4-digit chip 5x7 dots. I think there serial in some way, so just a pinout isn't enough. But I can't find a data sheet anywhere. Somebody?

TX, jeroen
rshayes

Re: qdsp2020

Post by rshayes »

The closest that I can come is a data book from 1984. It lists an HDSP2010. This is a 4 character, 5 x 7 display in a 12 pin DIP package. There are several other displays that seem to use a similar interface.

All elements in the same column on all four characters are serially loaded into a 28 bit shift register. The columns are strobed, then the 28 bits for the next columns are loaded. Basically five cycles are required, each cycle loading and displaying 28 dots.

The shift registers can be connected in series to allow for longer displays than four characters.
Edd

Post by Edd »

If you still really need data on the unit, and I would certainly think that you would be. HP was not the only sourcing of the unit. As far back as 2000 Infineon had put their paper data onto their website.
I had run into the units back into the early ‘80s being used as a traveling display unit on complex medical blood analysis equipment. They were definite attention getters as displays at that time. Prior to that, units were using the Union Jack enhancement of the common 7 seg segment displays to acquire alphanumeric character capabilities. These units were instead using a line and column driven pinpoint matrix.
Looking at the data pictures, seems like these units casing superstructure utilized a smidge more plastic than the HP units did……but the thing that I remember the most was the DIP packaging having only 12 terminals, vice the typical 14 or 16 pin outs.
The last two digits variants differentiated the different displays LED colors as well as the hi brite versions.
Your Information is:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/semicon ... eet=855472

73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:)

<small>[ January 15, 2006, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</small>
mrdevis

Post by mrdevis »

Thanks Ed and Stephen, the hdsp looks very much alike. Only thing different seems to be a little notch between pins 3&4 and 9&10 on the qdsp. I will give it a go and see if I can bake a cake out of it.
Thanks a great deal!

Jeroen