Magnavox 27TS52 C103 Television

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
danver29

Magnavox 27TS52 C103 Television

Post by danver29 »

Hi,
I can no longer read the "tickertape" at the top of my screen- such as while watching a ballgame. Is there a way to decrease the vertical heigth. I know the set is old but I'm curious.
Thanks
russlk

Post by russlk »

Look inside, the vertical adjustment may be labeled. Otherwise you need to buy a service manual.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I'd find the vertical deflection circuit and replace the electrolytic capacitors in it. Trace back the deflection drive wires from the deflection coil to the correct area.
danver29

Post by danver29 »

Thanks for your replies. A tech told me a while back that this model may have a service menu accessed with the remote control, but he couldn't find the right code combination. Is this possible?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Maybe????? If its one of those highly integrated sets that has mostly one big IC, the size and position may be settable in the OSD but I have no idea what is on the service menu. In any case, if you can get to that menu and there is no setting, then you know it is a hardwarfe failure rather than a setting.

In addition to the below clip, I also saw some suggenstions about unplugging for 4 or more hours and powering on while holding both volume buttons (or other button combinations) to reset the internal settings memory. Though resetting was associated with other problems.

Clipped from
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html#5.5

5.5 MAGNAVOX
Read the _ SERVICE MODE WARNING _ before proceeding.

Press: [0], [6], [2], [5], [9], [6], then [MENU]

The channels will change, but when you press MENU, the TV will enter the service menu.

Note: The above procedure works only on *SOME* Magnavox TV's

[Menu] = Change Adjustments

To save your changes, press [POWER] on the TV set. "Preset Memory" will appear, then the set will power down.

Note: Before entering service menu mode, make sure you power the TV on, off, and back on from the TV itself (not the remote). This should enable you to use the power-off button on the TV, after you made your changes, allowing you to saving them.
danver29

Post by danver29 »

Thanks . I'll try your advice and get back.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

danver29,

Before you go fiddling with the settings in the OSD.

I would check for a component going out, Like an electrolytic capacitor(s).

First off.....
Remove the back of the set.
Prop a mirror in front of it, so you can see the CRT.
Next...
Turn on the set, and tune in a channel that has the "Runner" at the Bottom of the screen. {CNN is a good one.}
Next...
Locate the Vertical Sweep Section of the TV.
Grab a can of coolant like "Freeze-It" and target the electrolytic capacitors, in that section, while watching the screen.
When the picture shrinks down to where you can see the "Runner".
Then you have found the capacitor that is bad.

Signed:Janitor Tzap
danver29

Post by danver29 »

I'm leaning toward a bad capacitor also. The top of the screen has a slight waviness along with the vertical problem. I'm going to take the easiest route first with "Freeze-It". It has worked for me in the past. Thanks for the reminder.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

typically look for a high voltage cap with a low value such as..
4.7µf @ 160 volts
this has usually worked for me in vertical circuits.