weather station with 3 outdoor Remote sensors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

weather station with 3 outdoor Remote sensors

Post by moe »

Hi
Has anyone seen a weather station that will monitor the inside temperature & humidity and have up to three outdoor wireless temperature Remote sensors
Thank you
Moe :grin:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Oregon Scientific may have what you need?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I've only ever seen weather stations with one indoor and one outdoor temp sensor. You may have to get one weather station and a couple of seperate wireless thermometers.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

This may do the job?

Oregon Scientific
http://www.weatherconnection.com/mfgpro ... 31&mfgno=1

Wireless weather station includes thermo-hygrometer with barometer, solar-powered self-emptying rain bucket and anemometer.

Accepts up to three additional THGR268 or THC268 remote sensors.

I believe it means up to six inputs?

I would study the whole package and then call them.
philba

Post by philba »

one thing to consider. Those consumer quality remote sensors tend to have very little distance. While they rate them for what seems like respectable distance, that appears to have been tested in a perfect vacuum or something. I have an OS weather/clock combo which claims 100 ft for the sensors. Even outside with a direct line of site, I think it maxed at about 25 ft and was fairly sensitive to orientation. Add walls and it really sucks. My ideal location was through a glass window at about 15 ft. It did not work. I lucked out with my second choice; the sensor is about 9 ft from the receiver but gets sun on it in the morning. I had to rig a little shade to get realistic readings on sunny days. I guess i just don't trust their claims.

I thought about hacking the sensor to add a real antenna but it works so I'm done.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Some of the wireless weather remotes use the same (or similar) frequencies as cordless phones and wireless networks. Having these other devices can raise the SNR and reduce the range of the lower power (compared to a phone or router) weather transmitter.

The 900Mhz band is a cacophony of signals. Many times have I seen one device blotted out by another. For example my cordless phone would knock out the wireless network until I changed the channel in the router and I never could use my RF cordless headphones with the router or phone operating.
philba

Post by philba »

good point and definitely worth considering. In my case it wasn't an issue, at least there wasn't anything close by...
moe

frequencies

Post by moe »

You know I never thought about it and you make a very good point with the cordless phone and the computer on wireless I will have to also look at the frequencies the units are on or look up the info with their fcc id thanks
Moe :grin:
stevech

Post by stevech »

Wireless LAN (WiFi) is not in 900MHz; it's in 2.4GHz. There are issues if your cordless phones are 2.4GHz rather than (old) 900MHz, or (new) 5.8GHz.

Most weather station stuff runs in the unlicensed area of 433MHz (US). The FCC has tough rules about the duty cycle - must be low - to prevent too many collisions in low power devices.

My experience with my LaCrosse wireless weather senors is that they work well from inside the hose through many walls over a distance of 100 ft or so. Once or twice a week it loses signal for a few readings.

I must comment that the LaCrosse products are cheap. And you get what you pay for. Would not buy another. Nor others in this price range.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This theremometer will do what you want:
http://www.ambientweather.com/sp91185.html

It has a humidity sensor at the base, a barometric "TREND" and of course thermometer. It can handle up to three remote temperature sensors and I believe it comes with one sensor. There is, I believe, a mistake in the listing as it says the additional sensors are part number 91509. I could not find that part number. I did find this though:
http://www.ambientweather.com/sp911371.html

The remote is not "weather proof" but has a remote sensor. The probe is detachable, if desired. I have the external probe attached on my two remotes. One sits in a bedroom and the probe hangs out the window. (The cable is small enough that you can close the window on it without damaging it.) The other sensor sits on top of a small refrigerator and monitors its internal temperature.

I own both Springfield Instruments and La Crosse weather devices. I will say that the Springfield sync between the base and remotes is a bit more tricky as compared to the La Crosse.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
moe

Thanks one and all for your help

Post by moe »

Thanks one and all for your help. I have picked up some Springfield Instruments remote weather units .Got them on sale at Menards tested them last night with no signal problems.Thanks again
Moe :razz: