Converting indoor speakers to keep outdoors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
GoingFastTurningLeft

Converting indoor speakers to keep outdoors

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

I have some decent sounding speakers I picked up from Goodwill for $10, look like they were part of a bookshelf system. I'd like to mount them under my girlfriends deck, and just put a weatherproof quick disconnect somewhere on the deck so when I want to use it i just plug it in and go. Where they'd be mounted, they'd be completely concealed.

I'm thinking a slightly domed circle kind of thing on top would stop rain from dripping down on top. I think just wrapping it in plastic would affect the sound quality.

Any ideas?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Put them in a weather proof box or enclosure for sound improvment and the weather.

Place them downwards so it water proof, and open for the good acoustics.
philba

Post by philba »

wrapping plastinc would impare the sound but sealing in a box wouldn't? not sure I track that...

Do these speakers have paper cones? if so, you will probably ruin them due to humidity. Soggy cones and rock-n-roll don't mix. I have two sets of outdoor speakers and, iirc, they have polyester cones. They are mounted under the eaves of my house. Works great but definitely more than $10. Not that expensive, though. check here http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/patiospeakers.html

the quick disconnect thing is actually a good idea if you don't mind the hassle of moving them.