ok, boys and girls, heres this weeks hack,,

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

ok, boys and girls, heres this weeks hack,,

Post by dacflyer »

this week we'll hack a cell phone to recieve police radio transmissions..

http://www.break.com/index/cell_phone_hack.html
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Most cops have gone over to digital scrambling.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Did I detect an Middle Eastern accent here?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I believe the accent was Russian. And the hack uses digital phones so it will descramble digital police signals, that was the point.

;-)

(BTW: I have some Florida vacation land for sale if anyone is interested.)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i'm looking for ocean front property in Arazona
GoingFastTurningLeft

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

I want some nachos right now
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Im sure any non scrambled digital signal is easy to hack, however in most large cities the algorithm they use to scramble wont be hacked so easily.

The chips are Proprietary and mated from the factory for secure reasons, and the methods of scrambling doesnt come incorporated with simple cell phones.

It could be done but not likely.

Its more likely they are hacking simple digital signals.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Dac
Quote " I'm looking for ocean front property in Arazona"
Just purchase any land in western Arizona . Then when the 'Big `Quake ' comes and California drops off into the ocean, you will have your waterfront property (ala Lex Luther).
jwax

Post by jwax »

I didn't use Heinz, and now I can listen to Don Imus reruns.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

CHRIS >> your taking the wind outta my sails...lol :P
this was ment to be funny, not serious....i hope you know that...lol

I 1st figgured it was BS as soon as he threaded the wire under the IC.
i said to myself...thats gonna short out ...
amelecsol2000

Hack cell phone!!

Post by amelecsol2000 »

Mmmmm,
Too much time on his hands, lol. Not all bad though.
He could be doing something worse like waisting people in our schools and universities.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

DAC

I know, often I don’t open up attachments for several reasons, one is we live in Siberia and DSL is just a myth they keep saying we will get some time this century, [takes hours for one second of bliss] and the other reason is I don’t open up too many things unless I decide to take the time to fully investigate.

I figured out by others that it was a Boris Badinoff Moment but I didnt have enough time the last few days to change coarse.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Chris, watch the video and you will see how much fun we are having.

But on to a real hack. Back in the late 80s early 90s there were some real phone hacking tricks going on. I knew how to put the phone in program mode (usually shorting a jumper under the battery or by hooking a wire up to between two points). Once in programming mode you could enter TEST commands from the keypad to unmute the speaker, enter the channel to be received, engage the transmitter, and so on.

Well there was this group in my area that knew some sort of trick that allowed them to use old cell phones as walkie talkies. They'd sell the BRICK models at the flea market all the time. The ones in on the secret would know what phones to get. They'd put them into some sort of programming mode and then those with the same phones would do the same; and they could talk to one another. I don't know if they used the cell site as some sort of repeater or what. This was not a DIAL a phone and talk. They would unmute the speaker and they'd be on the same channel.

Anybody willing to tell what type of trick went on with this?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I cant really watch any video.

Most take too long then they buffer and glitch, jamb or just lock up all together because we live in Siberia, and they dont care to up grade us to DSL!

Im less than 3 miles out of range and they are too lazy to add in the little [Chinese made] rings that can double the DSL.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Well, the BOM consisted of wire, solder, tostitos brand cheese dip, saran wrap and heinz ketchup. you have to see the video for the assembly instructions.

CS, I don'know if you also own a cell phone or what network that would be but many companies offer a low cost USB interface cable and modem software. It generally cost minutes from your plan but it can be that temporary semi-high speed link you occasionally need and after 9pm it can be your main link in most cases. Also cellular companies offer modem cards and data plans that cost similar to wired DSL plans. But in siberia, you may not have a relaible 3G network either. Good luck