ok, if this is not bogus..please explain..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

ok, if this is not bogus..please explain..

Post by dacflyer »

seen this tonight while looking thru my weekly videos...

http://www.break.com/index/anti_gravity_trick.html

i do not see how its possible..
1st of all theres no circuit,,and anti gravity needs hi voltage and or magnetism.. i think its booooooooggguuuussssss !
Craig

Post by Craig »

anti gravity needs hi voltage and or magnetism
I'm not saying this is real or not, but do we really know enough about anti-gravity to know what's needed to create such a thing?

For some reason I always thought what was needed was some sort of shield to block the gravity that's there, not some system to create anti-gravity. If gravity is an energy source, there must be some way to block it, right?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Gravity is not a form of energy. It is a property of matter. At least until someone works out the "Grand Unified Theory" and rewrites physics. Noone knows what causes it, it is uniform regardless of the kind of matter associated with it. It is so uniform that we use it to determine the amount of matter we are measureing (Mass). Some theories associate it with some as yet un seen elementary particle (named but not observed) but this is far from fact yet.

Your only hope is that kind of dark energy that is causing the universe's expansion to accelerate (if they can just figure that one out). It seems extraordinarily unlikely that such an energy would be useful on a human scale. What would you make a shield out of anyway. Anything made of ordinary or dark matter would have its own gravity

We know enough about gravity so that anything capable of disrupting it would be so energetic that it would vaporize the earth and half the milky way (well.....like gravity waves caused by the birth of a black hole are barely detectable)

As to the video, it carries all the hallmarks of viral spam only it is in video form. (that kind of spam that tells you a story that compels you to forward it to all your friends)

Poor video quality masks the scars from the photo shop edits

Fast presentation prevents viewers from absorbing what is going on in real time. Multiple viewings only makes the video more successful (from a viral POV)

Authoritative objects used to make it seem plausible (batteries, metal can, metal coin, implication of electrostatic effects etc.).

Common objects are used so it seems like you could do it yourself so easily. Those who accept this as fact are gullible and those who try to reproduce the experiment are victims of the viral spam effect and those who debunk it are conceded. You can't win if you watch it at all.

Similar looking experiments called antigravity or levitation are either electrostatic repulsion or ion wind type (excluding floating frogs at the national labs which uses a very strong magnetic field). These experiments invariably require a high voltage source and a lightweight large surface area object to levitate. A playing card with a dime is neither large or lightweight comparitively. This does not resemble those experiemts in setup or in the attitude of the floating object. This one was too well behaved.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya, i figgured it was bogus...lol..
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This really works! But you MUST be careful! I only had two AA batteries on hand when I attempted this. For the two upright batteries I used D cells; first big mistake. I was able to get the card to float as demonstrated in the video. I wanted to see how long it would just float there so I left the setup on my kitchen table while I made dinner; my second big mistake. My brother called me at my cell phone while it was floating the coin. This resulted in the dime and attached business card shooting up into the air and making a dent in my ceiling. So I recommend wearing safety glasses if you attempt this experiment.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

C'mon you gotta be pulling my leggs... i don't see how it can work
that why i havent attempted it..i mean wheres the connections in relation to the batterys? i see no connections, so i see the batterys as just support post..
but seriously if it does work,, it blows my mind... {:>P
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jwax

Post by jwax »

jollyrgr! ME TOO! BUT, I fired up my 2 KW ham rig, and the next thing I know, a guy in the next county was calling me, asking how my business card got stuck in his barn! :shock:
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

If this really works.......

Send a E-Mail to MythBusters.
With the link to that video.
Then have them replicate the experiment! :grin:

That way it will get national coverage! :)

Signed:Janitor Tzap
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Is this one of those experiments where you have to wear a brassiere on your head? What cup size? :shock:

Bob
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Bob Scott wrote:Is this one of those experiments where you have to wear a brassiere on your head? What cup size? :shock:

Bob
I'd forgot about that! But if that is all it takes to make Kelly Lebrock (or similar) appear, I'm game!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
ringo47stars

Post by ringo47stars »

Gravity is a source of energy even if it is just kenetic. Gravity is also a mass. Like E=MCsquared this only takes the energy for the mass into account where the energy comes from the gravity. The equation for the radius of a singularity is R=2GM over 2 and a c for the speed of light. The G stands for gravity and the M stands for mass and R for radius. Gravity and mass are two different things in this equation because a singularity doesn't have to have a mass if it is also known as a black hole. So if your thinking gravity is a mass and energy then doesn't the sun come to mind. So if gravity is energy like from the sun then to block it would be like putting on sunglasses. :cool:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The string theory says everything in the cosmos is based upon frequency at the very least.

No manipulation of frequency no changes.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If physicists are right and gravity is somehow derived by interaction of matter with the Higgs Boson then if you want to make up a shield, then imagine a "Higgs Boson Vacuum" of some sort.

Since it will take the newest supercollider to just detect one of these particals in billions of tries (they hope) an anti gravity device would need to be quite powerful indeed. Nothing that would fit on earth I think.

Dumb luck would have it also inhibit the nuclear strong force and matter would fly apart. That would suck as a side effect. :shock:

BTW, Gravity can be used to Convert potential energy into kinetic energy but it is neither a source or form of energy itself. It is simply a fundimental force.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi folks,

Another testament as to how video is becoming more and more
unreliable as a source of fact. Seeing is not believing anymore.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.