Anyone ever had a problem with Jameco?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Sparky

Tiny Part Delivered for 7$

Post by Sparky »

I'm not fond of Jameco's shipping practices. I once had a few IC's packaged up like they were as delicate as glass in a box far larger than necessary. 7$ for BS. Then always the partial shipments. Mouser is better because they are faster. Though some items only come in 500 part increments.
markp

Post by markp »

I use Jamesco a lot and also Digikey. Digikey has a larger inventory of the parts I usually need - mostly industrial stuff.
One hint: If you will accept back orders, mark your order " BILL ALL". That causes you to be billed for everything at once BUT there are no further shipping charges for the back ordered items.
philba

Post by philba »

There are a couple of reason I avoid digikey.
- their pricing often significantly higher than Mouser, especially for small quantities.
- s&h order charge on small orders
- they charge sales tax for states they have no presence in (definitely WA but I bet all 50)

Basically, I believe that Digikey does not care about the little guy and Mouser does.

There are a few exceptions.
- they carry National, Linear and others --- Mouser doesn't
- they have much better prices and selection of Atmel products
gerty

Post by gerty »

Got a shipment from MCM electronics today. $12.41 S&H for a 2 pound order shipped from Ohio to Tennessee, we're practically neighbors!!!
stevech

Post by stevech »

S&H = supplemental-profit & ha-ha
GoingFastTurningLeft

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

philba wrote:There are a couple of reason I avoid digikey.
- their pricing often significantly higher than Mouser, especially for small quantities.
- s&h order charge on small orders
- they charge sales tax for states they have no presence in (definitely WA but I bet all 50)

Basically, I believe that Digikey does not care about the little guy and Mouser does.

There are a few exceptions.
- they carry National, Linear and others --- Mouser doesn't
- they have much better prices and selection of Atmel products
I noticed that... since Atmel AVR's are my uC of choice for getting into these things I think I might just have to order a buttload of different sized AVR's and whatever I need at the moment from digi-key, then I can rely on mouser for a while.
philba

Post by philba »

don't forget samples. atmel is fairly good on that front.
Lenp

Really Dumb Shipping

Post by Lenp »

Hey guys,

I am into industrial controls design and service so I order from Grainger quite often. Recently I ordered 50 rubber wheels. They are 3" diameter, 1.5" wide with a ball bearing.

I got a delivery from UPS of three HUGE boxes. Inside the boxes was a slew of 10x10x10 boxes. Each box had two wheels inside, no packing, they just rattled around.

The backorder was packed much better though. The 20 wheels that arrived a few days later were again in HUGE boxes, but these were packed ONE wheel in each of the same sized boxes.

To put it in perspective, when the wheels were unpacked, they all fit in two of the individual boxes.

I called Grainger to complain about the wasteful and costly packing and they said 'That's the way we receive them from the factory'

They do quote a freight rate when you order so they probably lost money on the shipping since there was so much bulk!

And the beat goes on...

Len