Anyone ever had a problem with Jameco?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Just a short followup on Philbas comment on Mouser. On top of all he said, they also have the most user freindly order site on the web. I still have a lot of trouble with Digikey's. When I order from them,I usually do by phone operator.
Engineer1138

Recommendations

Post by Engineer1138 »

Since someone mentioned BG Micro I will put in a good word for them. Over 10 years ago I had a "misunderstanding" with one of their order takers and I hung up on him for being rude to me. I immediately got a call back from the owner apologizing for the behavior and explaining what had happened. I was so impressed by this that I (obviously) still remember it 12 years later and continue to buy from them when they have what I need.

Anyway, DigiKey is here in MN and I mostly buy from them because UPS only takes a day to get the parts here. In over a decade of buying from Digikey, both for my own use and for other employers, I can think of exactly three mistakes they've made, all of which were corrected immediately. Digikey's website will also immediately indicate backordered parts and lead times and I think it allows for shipping only complete orders.
This is the way business should be: they make it easy and treat people nicely, and we continue to buy from them.
Janitor Tzap

Re: Recommendations

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Engineer1138 wrote:Since someone mentioned BG Micro I will put in a good word for them. Over 10 years ago I had a "misunderstanding" with one of their order takers and I hung up on him for being rude to me. I immediately got a call back from the owner apologizing for the behavior and explaining what had happened. I was so impressed by this that I (obviously) still remember it 12 years later and continue to buy from them when they have what I need.

Anyway, DigiKey is here in MN and I mostly buy from them because UPS only takes a day to get the parts here. In over a decade of buying from Digikey, both for my own use and for other employers, I can think of exactly three mistakes they've made, all of which were corrected immediately. Digikey's website will also immediately indicate backordered parts and lead times and I think it allows for shipping only complete orders.
This is the way business should be: they make it easy and treat people nicely, and we continue to buy from them.
Yeah, I've been dealing with Digikey for some 15 years.
They have been quite good about shipping.
Even calling me back if a part isn't available, and would I like to backorder it or not.

Lately,
I've been going to "Chris Electronics" for my Capacitors, Resistors, and some other items.
This is mainly because I know one of the sales rep's there, and it is close by.
Only thing about "Chris" is they like to sell in bulk.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
philba

Post by philba »

Robert Reed wrote:Just a short followup on Philbas comment on Mouser. On top of all he said, they also have the most user freindly order site on the web. I still have a lot of trouble with Digikey's. When I order from them,I usually do by phone operator.
Their "my mouser" system is great. I can create a parts list and add to it as I am doing my research. Then when I am done. I just push the order button and it goes through. You can add your own part number to each item and when the order shows up, each part has it part number on the bag its in. Really well done.

Digikey has a better search but other than that Mouser rocks.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

You reminded me of what we used to do on Digikey when we would
create a web project that anyone who logged on could build...
We would create a web parts list on Digikey which came with a
site. This way anyone who visited the site could log into Digikey
and see all the parts right there and order them right there too.
Was a very good idea.
One slight drawback is that is someone felt like hacking the parts
list they might be able to delete all the parts or add parts that dont
go with the project, but i guess a second parts list on the web site
could be used to verify the parts on Digikey before ordering.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
RDL2004

Post by RDL2004 »

I pretty much only order from Mouser, unless it’s something I can’t get from them. I almost feel bad sometimes about them taking my dinky little orders. Everything comes packaged so well and they almost always ship the same day as you order. I’m in Mississippi and they are in Texas, I usually get my order in 2 days after I place it by standard UPS ground.

Their online order system will tell you if the items you want are in stock or not, so you can avoid backorders easily. And, if it says it’s in stock and really isn’t when they go to fill your order, they will ship it separately when it comes in and they pay the extra shipping. Everything is actually stocked too, none of this “shipping from a separate warehouseâ€
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

MrAl
How do you do this? Several years ago I had written a series of articles for 'machine control' projects. I wanted to do exactly what you had mentioned, but when I talked to the operator/order taker, they had no knowledge of this option. Is it very involved or complicated?
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Robert,

It's quite easy. The parts list/order list is kept for 30 days unless
you visit it again, in which case it updates to another 30 days.
After 30 days with no one visiting it it gets deleted, but i think
they have other options too if you 'register'.

To start a parts list, simply go to the site, search for a part, then
click "add to order" making sure to indicate at least a quantity of 1
for the part. Once you do that, it gets stored but the order is not
processed. Somewhere near the top of the page you will see a
field called
"Web ID"
and another field called
"Access ID".
These are two numbers such as:
14023662 (Web ID), and
35418 (Access ID)
You must copy and save these two numbers in order to get
back to your order at a later date (before 30 days are up)
and if you wish someone else to be able to access that
parts list you must supply both of these number to them too
so that they can get to the parts/order list.

Either you or someone else can then go to the home page of
Digikey and click on "Order Status" and then where it says
to type in the Web ID and the Access ID you type those two
numbers in their respective places then click the appropriate
"Submit" button, which then takes you to your parts list.
If you would like to try this now (for up to 30 days from today)
you can go to their site and enter in those two numbers i gave above
to see a parts list with two items on it, one being a themo sensor
and the other being a current sensor. Those ID's are valid for up
to 30 days from 03/29/2007 unless someone visits it tomorrow,
in which case it gets extended 30 days from then.

Note that anyone with the Web ID and Access ID can update
the parts list or place an order. Of course this means if someone
wants to do some mischief they can screw up the parts list, so
it is a good idea to keep a second copy somewhere.
Nice thing is, if someone finds a cheaper part that does the
same thing (for example) they can update the parts list and
anyone who wants to order after that gets the benefit.

I havent checked into the options available after registration however,
and there may be even better ways to do this. It would be nice if
only one person had the master password so only they could
change the list, while others could see the list or use it to order only,
but not change it in any way.

In any case it's a very nice feature of their web ordering process.

This would be ideal for magazine articles, where people reading could
go to the site and order all the parts they needed for the project right
then and there, if only the parts list could be saved for a longer period
of time (like years).
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

MrAl
Thanks for the info and I will certainly try this next time around. The Master thing sounds almost vital as one 'bad apple' could mess up the order for the rest of the barrel.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Robert,

Since yesterday i read up a little on their site about registration and
it does sound like you can do this if you register, which doesnt cost
anything. They talk about 'sharing' your parts list (they call it
the bill of materials) and i guess that's a good way to do it.
You can read up on this on their web site if you go under the
'site map' and look for 'benefits of registering'.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I'd like to jump in here for 2 minutes to add my 2 cents to what's already been stated...
1 - Never have had a problem with Jameco.
2 - S&H can be brutal. It's just an unavoidable fact. Your best bet is to make a big list and order once. If you MUST have that chip or those 6 dozen resistors only, always expect to pay a premium.
3 - Customer Service is a dying art. Therefore, "technical support" is becoming more and more synonymous with "sales & marketing." Be extremely cautious.
4 - BGMicro may not be so mad at you, MrAl. I've concluded that companies will often remove your name from their catalog mailing list after you've placed orders online. (I understand their logic, but I wish they'd at least ask the customer his preference. See #3 above.)
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Question-What happened to all those Radio Shack clerks since they have been downsizing?

Answer- They now all work in the above mentioned " Customer Tech Support departments" of the above mentioned sites.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Question-What happened to all those Radio Shack clerks since they have been downsizing?
Answer-Instead of asking you "May I have your zipcode?", they are now asking "Would you
like fries with that?", and doing a better job of serving their customers.
Regards,
<I'm Baaaack>
Dave
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Robert Reed wrote:Question-What happened to all those Radio Shack clerks since they have been downsizing?

Answer- They now all work in the above mentioned " Customer Tech Support departments" of the above mentioned sites.
There are no more "Radio Shack"s left in Canada. Last year that part of the chain was sold off to Circuit City under as "THE SOURCE" stores. This month they are all up for sale again. They are starting to change hands faster than you can say "Heathkit".

This is what happens when you let Marketing people run technical operations. Bloody "amplifying transistors" and "aluminum horn -helps stop rust" crap. No PNP or NPN or any tech specs, just "amplifying". I suppose that you can't go wrong assuming that a transistor might have amplification capabilities. ;) Or that aluminum won't develop a coating of iron oxide.

BTW, my experience with Digikey has been excellent. I always order over $25 so that shipping and handling are free. My last order was submitted via internet at 8PM. It arrived before 10AM the next morning and I did NOT specify next day or overnight.

I have never ordered from Jameco but I see their catalog contains lots of items cheaper than or not available from Digikey. eg: inexpensive potentiometers; cheap switching supplies, etc.

Bob
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Just so no one misunderstood me- I think Digikey is a great source to shop and with the fastest shipping on the planet. Its just their web ordering site I have trouble with. Between them and Mouser, whats always amazed me is their packaging- each item individually packaged and fully identified-even if its only one 10 cent part. Seems like they would actually lose money on some items.