large search coil for metal detector

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
sandiegoman

large search coil for metal detector

Post by sandiegoman »

I recently read an article in wired as well as seeing 'best places to find treasure....' or something like that where this guy towed a huge search coil for a metal detector behind him on a quad. Anyone have an idea on how I could make a large search coil, maybe 5x5 or so to tow behind my quad to look for stuff? Thanks!

Bryan
Ron H

Re: large search coil for metal detector

Post by Ron H »

sandiegoman wrote:I recently read an article in wired as well as seeing 'best places to find treasure....' or something like that where this guy towed a huge search coil for a metal detector behind him on a quad. Anyone have an idea on how I could make a large search coil, maybe 5x5 or so to tow behind my quad to look for stuff? Thanks!

Bryan
Do you already have a metal detector to connect it to?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Hmmm, looking for buried cars or what ?
seems over kill to be searching for coins etc..

we use a sort of metal detector for detecting vehicles in traffic..

theres a coil of wire installed into the asphalt and then connected to the vehicle detector.. but once a car goes over it, the detector only closes a relay. most coils we lay are usually a 6' X 60' in a figure 8
and some are in a 6' X 6' layout.usually 4-6 turns of 14Ga stranded thnn wire.
jwax

Post by jwax »

I saw that show, Bryan! There's a guy that travels the country with his rig, and gets permission from land-owners to scan their field for meteorites. He uses a large coil contained in PVC pipe, shaped in a square, maybe 5' on a side. It rolls on some bicycle tires towed behind his quad.
Some of his finds are huge! 93 pounds huge! That was about 5 feet deep in a Wyoming field.
Investigate meteorite hunting.
GoingFastTurningLeft

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

Leave the people who wanted to be buried in their cars at the beach alone!
sandiegoman

Post by sandiegoman »

Yeah, I have a few detectors, but do not really know all the details when it comes to good coil design. I am sure there are numerous factors that will help with depth issues. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have a house out in the desert and thought it would be fun to just run around with it behind my quad when I was exploring. You never know what you might find!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Check with White, Garrett (?) or some of the other big mfg's of detectors-I would think they'd know how to build a big coil.
You might try finding a treasure hunter forum on the net too, for answers.
The world is your oyster, if you can find it! :grin: