Philips 765 recorder problems...also cassette recorder too

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ModRob

Philips 765 recorder problems...also cassette recorder too

Post by ModRob »

I have a Philips CDR775 stand-alone cd recorder (two tray model) that has been great for my little recording room for several years, but does not have a ton of use on it. Recently, it's started acting up. Upon putting in "fast record' mode (from cd to cd) it will start and drop out of record, going into "update" and back to standby. This is not all times, but in last few days, most times. With repeated attempts, I can usually get it to work. I've tried a couple of different discs, and not sure if that's making a difference. (I'm going to get a different brand here shortly and try that.)
I bought one of them what I feel like are "overpriced" cd lens cleaners, and used it, to no avail. Another thing that's bothering me with it, is that it after loading a disc sometimes, it stays in "initialize" mode for a long period, then flashes "OPC ERROR"...and then sometimes it will stick in "OPEN" (tray) mode upon powerup. Clicking open button will then display "CLOSE" in the display. And again, nothing physical happens.
Any clues on that? Philips has been no help to me, other than to suggest repair facility that's 6 weeks behind now.

I also have a Sony dual deck cassette unit (sometimes I need it) that just recently when dubbing from one to the other, the 2nd tape comes out sounding slightly distorted, slightly overloaded sound, and muddy. I've tried at normal speed, and changed all bias settings too, but no real help. The second tape plays back in left side (origina) bay just as bad. When I patch into the unit to record individual tape, it works fine on that right side record unit. This unit is hardly used, if that makes any difference, and is placed on top shelf above my gear, and between powered monitors (with about seven to eight inches of space between five inch woofers and unit.)

Thanks for any help in this...can't really afford another CD recorder at this point....

Tim
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Check the heads on the Sony, probably worn.
Janitor Tzap

Re: Philips 765 recorder problems...also cassette recorder t

Post by Janitor Tzap »

ModRob wrote:I have a Philips CDR775 stand-alone cd recorder (two tray model) that has been great for my little recording room for several years, but does not have a ton of use on it. Recently, it's started acting up. Upon putting in "fast record' mode (from cd to cd) it will start and drop out of record, going into "update" and back to standby. This is not all times, but in last few days, most times. With repeated attempts, I can usually get it to work. I've tried a couple of different discs, and not sure if that's making a difference. (I'm going to get a different brand here shortly and try that.)
I bought one of them what I feel like are "overpriced" cd lens cleaners, and used it, to no avail. Another thing that's bothering me with it, is that it after loading a disc sometimes, it stays in "initialize" mode for a long period, then flashes "OPC ERROR"...and then sometimes it will stick in "OPEN" (tray) mode upon powerup. Clicking open button will then display "CLOSE" in the display. And again, nothing physical happens.
Any clues on that? Philips has been no help to me, other than to suggest repair facility that's 6 weeks behind now.

I also have a Sony dual deck cassette unit (sometimes I need it) that just recently when dubbing from one to the other, the 2nd tape comes out sounding slightly distorted, slightly overloaded sound, and muddy. I've tried at normal speed, and changed all bias settings too, but no real help. The second tape plays back in left side (origina) bay just as bad. When I patch into the unit to record individual tape, it works fine on that right side record unit. This unit is hardly used, if that makes any difference, and is placed on top shelf above my gear, and between powered monitors (with about seven to eight inches of space between five inch woofers and unit.)

Thanks for any help in this...can't really afford another CD recorder at this point....

Tim
Tim,
The CD-Player recorder sounds like a problem with the contact switches
for the Cd-Drawers are dirty. Use some Spray Contact cleaner on them.
Second: The Lenses may be dirty and using the a cleaning CD won't remove grime, dirt, or smoke from the lens.
You need to open up the unit and clean the lenses with a lint free swab, and De-ionized Water or Isopropyl Alcohol.
You may also have a bad Spindle Motor.
I've sprayed Tuner Cleaner into the motors and got them too work ok for a short while.
But I would end up replacing the motor anyway.
Make sure the disc{s} are clean when you put it into the drives, including the Original disc.

The Sony Dual-Tape Deck sounds like it needs a good cleaning of the Tape Heads, Capstan, Pinch Roller, and Demagnetize the Tape Head.
Open up the unit and check if it has a Mechanical Play/Record Switch.
If it does....
Spray Contact Cleaner & Lub into it.
The old Slide Play/Record Switches would sometimes have to be Rebuilt and cleaned to solve the problem.
It may use Relays instead, for the Play/Record Function.
You can try spraying them, but if that doesn't help.
You'll have to replace them.
And since you have the deck open, check the belts.
They may be slipping, and need to be cleaned or replaced.
Next.....
MOVE IT AWAY FROM THOSES SPEAKERS!!!
Under the short term having it sitting between the monitors isn't harmful.
But the longer it sits between them, the more the Tape Heads will be effected by the Magnetic Fields that the speakers are producing.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I believe the cassette deck may have a head alignment problem; especially on the RECORD side. Get a "good" or factory cassette if at all possible and play it back on the RECORD deck. If the heads and transport path are clean place the "good" tape in the player and hit play. Depending on the design of the deck there may be an access hole for a small jeweler screw driver or you may have to take the face off. It all depends on how the cassette fits in the deck as to how this is shown. In any case there will be a screw that adjusts the head height and alignment. Adjust this screw for the best playback on the RECORD deck. The "tell" to me is that cassettes recorded from an external source play back fine in the record deck. To itself the heads are in alignment. My guess is that tapes recorded from a known good source will likely not play back very well in the RECORD deck. (It is highly possible it could be the playback or source deck is out of alignment as well.)

A real neat way of adjusting head height is to listen to a stereo cassette in "mix minus" format and null the vocals. To listen to "mix minus" is quite simple. Disconnect one speaker. Connect the + from one speaker to the + of the right speaker out terminal. Connect the - of the same speaker to the + of the left speaker output terminal. In short you have connected the two wires from one speaker to the + side of both channels. This forms a "differential" output. The mono portion of the signal will rise and fall to the same level on both right and left channels. Since this rises and falls at the same rate you don't hear it through the speaker this way. If the cassette heads are out of alignment you can adjust the screw until the voices NULL out. Due to processing found in many songs you may never get a "true" null.

Despite my insistence that this will NOT harm you amp some will believe it will. Maybe a transistor amp from the 1960's or possibly a tube amp but overload protection has been in most amps for many years. If you are still concerned use a set of headphones and "lift" the common wire ground connection or "sleeve".

Somewhere in my collection of junk I still have a breakout box I made in the early 1980's. It was for a way to get a poor man's "surround sound" from the new "Stereo" and "HiFi" VCRs that were just making it to market. The box connected to the output of the amp. There were four connections for speakers. The normal Left Right speakers and two surround sound speakers. The "surround sound" speakers simply did not have a ground connection back to the amp.

In my broadcast days I and others used headphones with no ground to balance tape levels, align tape heads, and in some cases adjust turntables.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

jollyrgr,

Have you looked at the newer Cassette Decks?
{Circa 1990's to current.}
The Audio Heads are permanently set in the factory.
There are no adjustments for alignment of the Audio Heads.

Thou,
I know what your talking about, for the Adjustments of height and alignment of the Audio heads.
But, I only saw the adjustment screws only with earlier Cassette Decks.
(And 8-Track Players)
{Circa 1960's to 1980's}

But...
It would really help if we knew what the model of Sony Cassette Deck he has.:smile:

ModRob

more...

Post by ModRob »

Hey thanks guys for the good posts...

I had the CD Recorder apart, and at one point removed the whole record side unit (4 small screws, and about five small cables). I slid things around some and all seemed to be fine mechanically, no debris and such. I cleaned the laser with alcohol, and reinstalled. But then the drawer would not make a sound, and the open and close displays would light when the button was pushed. But after a couple of times reinstalling, and noodling, it finally started working ok. ( I want to think that I had the little motor that runs the carriage out of sync or something, as I moved it some with a pencil eraser).
Anyhow, after those tasks, I set the unit up again to record from the right side disc to the left side recording disc (seven songs programmed.) All seemed to be recording fine; after the last song, it went into "update" for quite some time, then when it quit that, there was nothing recorded onto the disc. I tried again; this time it started but about three seconds into first song, it went into "analog recording" (I've been using the "fast record" function and programed the seven songs one-at-a-time,) then dropped out of record into "update" where it then "froze". I powered down, and back up, got message of "disc recover" and after that the disc would not work. I then tried another new disc..it recognized it ok, and tried again; this time using the "make cd" function" which goes into "finalize" automatically. This time it worked.
I don't know, but this sure seems to act like some kind of logic problem, if I'm even remotely correct about going down that road...One other thing I was going to try was to find these 74min. discs I've read about that some users said cures a lot of the problems, but I've been using the common 80min. Maxells and Memorex discs, for quite some time with not the first problem...

The cassette player....Sony TC-WE305....looks like code on back lists it from about 2003. Let me add, that playback of other tapes sounds fine; clear and crisp. Only in the dub mode, either normal or high, does the problem arise. I didn't check yet, but in a day or so, I'll just record normally to it, then listen to that cassette on another unit and see if it still sounds alright....

Again, thanks for the usual great help from Nuts and Volts gang.
Tim
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

ModRob,

About the Sony Dual Cassette Deck: TC-WE305.

Try First.......
Cleaning of the Audio Heads, Capstans, Pinch Rollers, with Isopropyl Alcohol.
Then Demagnetize the Audio Heads.

Second thing to try........
Check the Belt, or Belts.
Clean them if there slipping, or replace them if they are stretched out.
Clean the Pulleys as well with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Last thing to try.......
On many of the newer Dual Cassette Decks.
They use only one motor to drive both decks.
These motors are cheap, and when you put the extra load of running both decks when dubbing tapes.
The motor will drop in speed after awhile.
You can Spray the inside of the motor with Tuner Lub to get it back to up speed.
If that doesn't help, you will need to replace the motor.
MAT Electronics sells replacement Cassette Motor for about $7.00.

ModRob

re:

Post by ModRob »

Hey thanks again for more great hints....
I'll give those things a try in the next couple of days....

Tim
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Janitor Tzap wrote:jollyrgr,

Have you looked at the newer Cassette Decks?
{Circa 1990's to current.}
The Audio Heads are permanently set in the factory.
There are no adjustments for alignment of the Audio Heads.

I've not looked at really new cassette decks but do have an older Sony a few feet from me. With the cover off the flip out tape holder you can access the tape head adjustment through a hole in the front of the deck. I have not had to buy a cassette deck for years as I've been able to record CD-Rs now since about 1998.

That is interesting that there is no longer a need to adjust heads. I have an RCA VCR from the late 1990's that still had an adjustment for the analog audio heads. But you don't want to poke the bear and get me started on RCA VCRs.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

jollyrgr wrote: That is interesting that there is no longer a need to adjust heads. I have an RCA VCR from the late 1990's that still had an adjustment for the analog audio heads. But you don't want to poke the bear and get me started on RCA VCRs.
Yes,
I know pretty much all about the RCA VCR's.
The ones that have been made in the past 8 years are all throw away.
A friend who still has a shop.
Used too have dozens of the dead ones in piles, down in his basement, and in the back of his shop.
He finally got rid of them because they were taking up too much space.
And almost any of the newer RCA VCR's that came in for repair had the same problem wrong with it.:sad:
Plus, parts for the newer VCR's aren't being made available.
Or, the cost of the repair quickly goes over the cost of replacement.:sad:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Before you worry about head alignment etc, check the heads where the tape rubs the head for small flat spots and or scratches. Easy to spot under a good light.

The number one reason you get a muffling sound is worn out heads.

There is only one company that has a proprietary head made of glass crystal and it comes with a guarantee that it can be operated 24/7/52 weeks a year for twenty years with out wearing out.

All others not using this glass crystal will wear out.

The average graphite and metal heads only last a few years on average depending on dust conditions, amount of time used etc. I have been chucking the standard heads for more than three decades now and its still the number one reason for failure and muffled sounds.

If its not worn out, then proceed.