sluggish Micro

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bigkim100

sluggish Micro

Post by bigkim100 »

I recently bought a arcade machine from the late 80,s, early 90,s. It consists of a large, multi-pin microprocessor, and a memory chip. All chips have had their ID#s obliterated.
Heres the question:
The unit seens to be "stuck"...not doing anything, until I place my finger across the leads of the crystal of the micro. I can then advance the game a "line"at a time.
In other words...if the game is supposed to play a tune bleep, blop, blorp , bloop, I can simulte this by placing and removing my finger from the crystal leads: bleep(touch),blop(touch),blort(touch)bloop(touch). Does this mean that the crystal is defective?...the crystal needs capacitance between its leads?.....whatcha think?
Thanks
Kim..The man with the cute little girls name...and Frankensteins face and body.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

can you scope it out ?

do you have another crystal thats close to the same value to try ?
doesn't have to be exact...which game is it exactly.. i used to work in the industry,,,maybe i can get you a schematic on it ...

do you have location numbers on the parts ?
philba

Post by philba »

Look to see if the load caps for the crystal are broken. Look for broken traces. If it's a cmos chip, floating inputs can behave that way when touched - it's probably seeing a 120 hz signal.

What is the specific game? There are a lot of sites on the web for keeping them running.

Can you post a good quality picture of the micro & support chips? It may well be possible to ID it from pinout alone.