Mouse Stops working when Cell phone rings

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bdickens

Mouse Stops working when Cell phone rings

Post by bdickens »

My MS mouse (USB) stops working when my Blackberry rings. It recovers fine when I pull the plug and reset, but this is annoying. Anything I can do besides get a differnt mouse ?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

How close is the Blackberry to the mouse?

Within a foot? Try three feet separation (from mouse AND it's cord).

Cheers,
Dale Y
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Do you have other devices on the same USB hub? For example do you have a bluetooth dongle to communicate with your blackberry wirelessly or a wireless keyboard? If so, plug it into a different USB hub. Most PC have at least 2 (and each of these may have 2-4 USB connectors or ports), see the properties on your My computer icon to get to the device manager on the hardware tab to see what port your device is actually connected to. Try turning the bluetooth feature off on the phone and see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails, use a USB to PS2 adapter (or remove the PS2 to USB adapter on there) and plug the mouse into the mouse connector. I find I need this for my keyboard since when it fails to come out of hibernation, the USB keyboard will not work to choose something from the menu, I need a PS2 connected KB to restart.

Do they still call it a PS2 connector? anyway its the round DIN one.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Is the Blackberry by chance hooked to the computer at this time; likely by USB cable? Is this a "wireless" USB mouse that is communicating over Bluetooth? Do you have Bluetooth enabled on the Blackberry for something like an Uhura earpiece? Just some thoughts.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
GoingFastTurningLeft

Post by GoingFastTurningLeft »

The lady across from me in the office's radio makes strange square wave tones + tone bursts when she's getting a cell phone call at her desk. Its annoying because its 3 times louder than the radio signal.

Maybe its because its one of those AM/FM/TV/WB radios. Or maybe it's just a cheap POS.

Yes, I know, that was kinda off-topic.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

"The lady across from me in the office's radio makes strange square wave tones + tone bursts when she's getting a cell phone call at her desk. Its annoying because its 3 times louder than the radio signal."

Not really off topic; just a different victim device.

On a cell phone when you press the call button, or just before ringing starts for an incoming call, or when a cell site polls to discover which phones are within range, the cell phone's transmit power is much higher than during conversation. (You usually don't get the interference when making a call because the phone is in your hand, not sitting on the desk near another electronic device. Distance is greater, so field strength hitting the other devices' circuits is less. (Doubling the distance quarters the field strength.)) The pattern of buzzes you hear from a radio, TV, or even computer speakers, is the cell phone transmitting it's ID. Either the phone's signal is strong enough to get through the RF section's filtering, or it affects the front end of the audio section. If the cell phone and radio are close enough during a call, continous interference would be heard.

A Blackberry is a just small computer and a cell phone in one package. For the USB mouse, the interference is strong enough to confuse the microcontroller in mouse. Unplugging and replugging reboots the mouse's firmware.

Bluetooth in a phone or Blackberry adds another transmitter in a different frequency band that can also cause problems in non-Bluetooth devices. Assuming none of the devices are faulty (not overly susceptible to interference, and transmiters only emitting the frequencies they're suppopsed to), the cure is the same; increase distance between the transmitter and device being interfered with.

C U L -
Dale Y