Electric Go-Kart

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Re: Electric Go-Kart

Post by jwax »

Curtis is excellent for technical assistance. Hard to tell which controller you have there, but they can tell you. I would have found a motor first, then find a controller to match it. Sounds like you're limiting the kind of motor you can use with the "good deal" controller.
I bought two 12 volt battery chargers from Sears, with the 12 volt deep cycle batteries. They are very common, thereby cheap. Charge two at a time, independent of each other, so you can monitor the health of each battery. Of course, maybe two batteries will be all you need. I went nuts with four (48 V). By the time the batteries needed recharging, the 24 volt motor was rather warm!
WA2RBA
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Yep, I think you're right...<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>What you have is a custom controller for Club Car designed to run a
series
motor manufactured by GE.<hr></blockquote><p>Is it just time to ditch the controller and start over? Or try to find that motor. It looks like series wound motors are inferior to most of the new motors.<p> :(
gasayers

Post by gasayers »

Thanks John.
Slightly off topic. Before I start assembling my electric kids kart. (24V, twist grip throttle, 350 watt motor.30 amp controller)
I have two gas karts, very home made, that are twitchy in the steering when going in a straight line but are ok when turning a corner. Is this an effect of a live axle or is there something more ominous going on?
Any suggestions.
Cheers
Glen
jwax

Post by jwax »

Vincent- As I recall, a series motor will "overspeed"- runaway, if the field winding ever loses power. Not good in a kart. I'd pursue a PM motor, and a controller. The series wound was probably selected for the low current, long run time demands of a golf cart, undesireable in a Kwik Kart!
gasayer- I'd doubt if the live axle could cause the steering problem. If tires spin freely without wobble, and rims haven't hit curbs too badly, the linkage would be suspect. Best of luck with the electric! Where'd you get the controller?
John
WA2RBA
gasayers

Post by gasayers »

I realize the cart I'm making isn't in the same league as your karts.
This is a first step small kart for my daughter that I'm getting two girls in my Engineering class to make as their project once they finish their steam engine.
The gas karts the boys are working on are more "real" for want of a better description.
I got the controller from a local company called NZEcobikes. Seem helpful enough.
Glen