PIC crystals

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
hamsterears

PIC crystals

Post by hamsterears »

Okay, got the stuff I need to build the programmer for PIC microcontrollers.<p>The question I have now is regarding the crystals.<p>I know the 16F84A I have is 4mhz. Will 4mhz crystals work on, say, a 20mhz 16F628?<p>The reason I ask is that I got a good deal of 4mhz crystals. Like 40 of them, free.<p>If anyone wants some, let me know and we'll work something out.<p>Michael Fagan
bodgy

Re: PIC crystals

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mike Fagan:
Okay, got the stuff I need to build the programmer for PIC microcontrollers.<p>
I know the 16F84A I have is 4mhz. Will 4mhz crystals work on, say, a 20mhz 16F628?<p>
Michael Fagan
<hr></blockquote><p>The short answer is yes. Actually the long answer wouldn't be much longer than the short one. :p <p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
chessman

Re: PIC crystals

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bodgy:
<p>The short answer is yes. Actually the long answer wouldn't be much longer than the short one. :p <p>
Colin
<hr></blockquote><p>I'll give the long answer, and you'll see how much longer it is.<p>The rating of the processor is just that, a rating. It's the max speed that the processor can run at.<p>It's plenty safe to clock the chip at slower speeds, just don't go above the speed the chip is rated at.<p>Oh yeah, in the datasheet there's also a minimum speed rating, but it's usually DC lol<p>There, not too long, eh?<p>~Kyle