PICAXE micros !

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
manuka

PICAXE micros !

Post by manuka »

Guys - PICAXE micros ( ex.UK) are so easy to use even your dog can understand their HLL commands ! Outstanding power, dirt cheap ( start at US$1.50 ), & compact single chip. I've no idea why US outlets haven't developed, since here in Australia/NZ they've gone ballistic,& agents report "demand exceeds any possible predictions".Check => www.picaxe.co.uk & => http://picaxe.orcon.net.nz<p>[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: manuka ]Image<p>[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: manuka ]</p>
josmith

Re: PICAXE micros !

Post by josmith »

A soon as they figure out how to charge $100 for the software and cable and $50 each for the chips we'll see them here.
manuka

Post by manuka »

All PICAXE software is FREE, & the 3 wire serial cable is a DIY doodle ( ref. hot melt gun version at http://picaxe.orcon.net.nz ). I initially Visa ordered straight from UK, & goodies arrived here in New Zealand within 4 days ! However freight was more than the chips, so suggest you bulk order & share with friends. Guys - if you've been "meaning to get into PICs ", but found things like unravelling DNA, then these US$1.50 darlings are probably your salvation. I did more in an hour with one than I managed in a week with a well known microcontroller costing orders of magnitude more. I'm an educator & value the look of delight on students faces ( all ages 10 - 80 ) when they WORK - first time !<p>[ April 20, 2003: Message edited by: manuka ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Manuka,<p>You may not be aware that Oatley Electronics on Oz are stocking a PIC-AXE kit.<p>www.oatleyelectronics.com<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
manuka

Post by manuka »

Yes- know their kit OK. Although cheap it's buggy & perhaps over large. Official Australian agents are in fact MicroZed =>www.microzed.com.au . The UK Revolution Education "08 Starter Pack " is great value, but everything is soldered= ARGH when needing quick field tweaks( Red LED for green etc ) This micro proto I've mentioned looks a great hybrid since cheaper + smaller + easier & more convenient.
BobLynas

Post by BobLynas »

More PicAxe info...
The new PicAxe 28X is now released !!
(see [url=http://www.rev-ed.co.uk)]www.rev-ed.co.uk)[/url]
I believe this will really opens up the scope and possibilities for PicAxe in the future...
I am going to order some today !!<p>PS i got my Cat to program one the other day, and tonight i will be training my fish !<p>BobMcN