torque amp for tiny screwdrivers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jimandy

torque amp for tiny screwdrivers

Post by jimandy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:22 pm

I don't know what else to call it. I'm frustrated trying to use the tiny jewelers screwdrivers with the skinny slotted handle that provide no grip when trying to remove a small screw. Holding the tool with plyers and applying pressure at the end to hold the driver tightly in the slot is tedious and generally requires more hands than nature provided me.

Would welcome suggestions/sources for a solution.
"if it's not another it's one thing."

philba

Post by philba » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:18 pm

I have a pair of small vise grips that I use for that very task. works great.

Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:23 pm

The jewelers screwdrivers were never intended to provide hi torque as the torque required should match the screw size, Smaller and smaller - less torque. The secret that I have found with slotted head screws is that you greatly increase torque with an exact match of blade tip to slot size. Maybe a bigger blade would solve your problem.

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:18 pm

i have used some special heat shrink,that has hot melt glue in it..
if you can find this..slip it on and shrink a few Pcs. the hot glue will prevent the shrink from slipping,,and as it shrinks, it gets thicker.
so a few pcs. might help do the trick for you..

if nothing else. drill out the center of a wooden dowell 2-3" long piece
add i a little hot melt glue and shove the driver thru it..

hope this crude idea helps ya.

jimandy

Post by jimandy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:14 pm

The wooden dowel idea (I'm thinking brookstick diameter) is great Particular if I could sort of force fit it to the ribbed tool section so that it could be removed and used as a handle for some of the other screwdrivers in the set that are similar in size.
"if it's not another it's one thing."

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:33 pm

A lot of the brands of tiny screwdrivers already come with a cross hole at the top which is perfect for a nail or second screwdriver for leverage.

If you cut out a small piece of PVC pipe and epoxy a screw driver into the piece, then sand the surface of the PVC, you will get lots of leverage.

The tiny vice grips works well, as do the pliers but my first choice is to find a set with these cross holes in it, add in a nail or steel rod, and smash the ends so they can fall back out.

The next trick is to drill an appropriate size hole in the handle at the proper place, and then insert a nail or hardened metal rod in the hole for a “T Barâ€

MrAl

Post by MrAl » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi,

To add to the ideas, in the past i have used rubber grommets of
the correct size so that they fit snugly over the body of the small
screwdriver. When you squeeze the grommets they grip the
body and the larger diameter gives you more torque.
You can take the grommets off when done or leave them there
permanently. I leave them on one screwdriver and take them
off for another when needed. You need at least 4 or 5 grommets.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.

Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:41 am

Probably TOO simple, but... To break loose small screws, I would suggest giving the screwdriver a pretty good smack on the head while it is placed in the slot. This will do two things. First, it helps to seat the screwdriver in the screw head (thinking Phillips here), and it also helps to break loose any corrosion, or thread locking compound that may be in the threads. Another thing to try is using heat on the joint. This will often be a huge help in loosening old screws. Sorry if this was too obvious,
Dave

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:01 am

I agree with Dave, that is a reallly good way to knock tight screws loose. I use it all the time from tiny screws to larger bolts when workign on cars.

Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:29 am

I used to repair laptops and needed small drivers (for example, torx #1 used on thinkpads). Sears had some nice small drivers that were easy to grip and hold. Mine were black with a red cap that rotated (which was very useful).

Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:34 pm

If the screwdriver shaft isn't too thick, you can get a T-handle for a tap and put the screwdriver into the collet and use the T handle and its shaft instead. Home Depot has T handles in their drill bit/tap&die section in the Tools area for about $6 or so.

Lenp

Post by Lenp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:43 pm

Here's another thought,

Slip a piece of the old fashioned orange gum rubber tubing over the screwdriver handle. When it is in a good place, pull the tubing away and put in a drop of in some crazy glue. We use it on standard screwdriver blades to allow 'spinning' the screw home.
(If you are latex sensitive, skip this post)

Len