Disposible camera flash project

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cheapNdisgusting

Disposible camera flash project

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

I made a small light that will fit inside a 1/2 gallon milk jug that is turned on by removing a magnet from a NC reed switch. Magnet in place = no light. Magnet removed = light on. This I have done and it works well. This is for "jug fishing" at night.

I want to replace it with a strobe from a throw-away camera with the following requirements:
1. Magnetic reed switch will turn on strobe.
2. Strobe will flash once every 30 to 60 seconds until reed switch is opened (magnet is replaced).
3. Operates on 1 AA battery (same as in camera).
4. Cannot be made on a printed circuit board.
5. I will not share the fish.

A switch to turn it on initially is ok. But once it is "set", it will not flash until the reed switch is closed. It will then flash until turned off or the reed switch is opened.

The cameras operate with 2 switches. One "enables" the flash and the other triggers it. The main part that I don't know is what do I need to do to "enable" the flash, and how long it will remain "enabled". I can stumble my way through the trigger part with a 555 Astable timing ckt.

Any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated but I still won't share the fish.

Thanks in advance
cNd
jollyrgr

Re: Disposible camera flash project

Post by jollyrgr »

How about this idea.....

Use a Darlington phototransistor optically coupled to the "READY" indicator light be it LED or neon light. Darken the connection so the only light the Darlington phototransistor sees is from the "READY" light. I'd use electrical tape, heat shrink tubing, or even rubber hose to perform the physical connection.

Connect the EMITTER COLLECTOR leads from the transistor to the FIRE contacts on the strobe. Let the BASE (if present) remain open.

Turn on the strobe using the removal of the magnet as you describe. The strobe will start to charge up. Once the "READY" light comes on it will fire the strobe.

If you desire you can place a resistor in series with the battery to cause the strobe to charge slower. Most of these things take about 10 seconds or so to charge with a fresh battery. Adding the resistor will slow down the charge rate and increase the time between flashes.

Lucky for you I don't care for fish. Otherwise I might not be so willing to help you catch them.

BTW, do you use an electric WORM TURNER?????

<small>[ January 02, 2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</small>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
cheapNdisgusting

Jolly Roger- Thanks for the reply. I like the idea with the Darlington, It will save having to mess with the 555 timing ckt. (also adding the resistor).

I will try it, and after the smoke clears up I will report what happens.

No, I don't use the worm turner because it makes them taste like copper, and here in Missouri - if the fish don't bite, we eat the bait. :)
cNd
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

you might wanna use a few "D" battery in paralelle or so..cause them camera flashes will eat a battery in no time,, i already beenthru this,, the start of the charging process can draw as much as 4 amps at peak , i made one flash about every 5-10 sec,,in less than 10 min the "D" battery was dead
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

I was thinking the same thing,
Torturing an AA Cell like that.
cheapNdisgusting

While diving into the flashrate problem I came across this http://members.misty.com/don/kmaxhack.html which is in another direction but worth a try also.
cNd