Ham radio question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
SETEC_Astronomy

Ham radio question

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I hear on my scanner HAM operators talking about various jobs they are at and other job related topics. They are using the HAM bands for their own business is this legal? I ask only out of curiosity it personally doesn't bother me.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

As long as they are on HAM frequencies and are licensed operators, they can talk about anything they desire.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Thanks. I was just curious.
wd5gnr

Post by wd5gnr »

I don't think that's true. The rules used to be very strict about no business related communications. Although the rules have been clarified in a relaxed way in 1993, I don't recall them being removed. So if two hams are talking about their jobs or ordering pizza over a phone patch, that's probably OK. If you are using a phone patch to call clients, or trying to sell something to hams over the radio, or using your radio to dispatch other ham employees to work sites, etc. then I think that is a violation of the FCC rules. Handling messages for people for pay is also prohibited.

These rules were designed to protect commercial services, and granted with cell phones, etc. they probably aren't as important as they used to be. And maybe they did retract them but if they did I missed it.

My understanding is that if you or your employer have a financial stake in the transaction, you can't use ham radio. So ordering a pizza is OK. Calling into the pizza place where you work to conduct business is not OK.

Here's an article: http://ham-shack.com/autopatch.html
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Talking about what you do for a living or what company you work for is perfectly okay. If on the other hand a ham coworker and I are using ham radios to communicate about work we are performing, this is not okay. Also, let's say I have a busines fixing computers and I tell someone to bring their computer to my shop for repairs this would be wrong.

Here are some seemingly odd examples:

I use a ham Autopatch to call a tow truck to pick up my broke car. OK
I use ham radios in my tow trucks (with licensed hams) to talk between trucks. BAD
I and my hunting buddies use radios to keep in contact in the fields. OK
I contact other hams to let them know they can hunt on my property for $10 a day. BAD

The NO BUSINESS rule is to prevent the ham frequencies from being used to conduct business. But I can say "I work for Acme Engineering and make the products you see at Wally World."

There were supposed to be "relaxed" rules as well. The example above was right, I could use an autopatch to order a pizza. But the pizza place could not turn around and transmit directly on ham radio "Two large pizzas for $9.99".

Now CB, GMRS, FRS, and MURS is a different story. CB (the 40 channel AM type) can be used for business. Truck stops can (and do) advertise their specials. Listen to channel 19 while driving past the larger off ramps along interstates and you will hear truck stops announcing their truck washes, scales, and even the buffet dinner. GMRS is a licensed service (well it is SUPPOSED to be) but with so many GMRS/FRS radios out there the license is almost non existent. My understanding that both can be used for business. For instance Wally World employees or restaurant workers can use these to communicate. The MURS service is the original "Color Dot" radios and has the six VHF frequencies used by businesses. Construction workers, fast food drive thru, etc. use these frequencies.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that the "Truck Washes" I used to hear advertised on the CB, near interstate off-ramps was NOT for an actual cleaning! The prices that I heard quoted for a "hand wash job" were awfully high if they were!!!
Dave
N0QOF
stevech

Post by stevech »

The spirit of HAM (amateur) radio is for public service (e.g., parades, drills, emergency) communications, and when that's not needed, HAMs are to use the spectrum for learning and enjoyment. The Part 90 regulations and personal ethics (remember those?) prohibit for-profit uses of the HAM bands.

Steve
WB6CSZ