Best paper for toner transfer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

Best paper for toner transfer

Post by Newz2000 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:02 pm

I've been trying out different papers for toner transfer pcb creation. Last night I've had the best luck yet, and printed two circuit boards that came out perfect.

The paper I used was "hp soft gloss laser paper" hp's part number is C4179A and it comes in 200 sheet packs.

It's 32lb, so it feels a bit heavy, but it comes off real easy. After you peel the paper off, rubbing with your thumb while the board is in water causes the paper residue to come off pretty easily as well.

If you google, you'll see this paper is pretty easy to find. It doesn't look like office depot carries it, but they do have the laser brochure paper, which may have similar qualities. Staples offers something that has what appears to be the same features but with a different part number.

The fabled "staples brand" photo paper that some of the more popular tutorials on the web use is gone. If anyone has another paper that they've had good luck with, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, btw, the circuit I etched had reasonably small traces and the spaces between traces (how poetic) were smaller than I'd normally choose. Yet they came out fine. The circuit I made is here (I made the home smd version) if you want to look at it. I can't imagine needing much smaller traces than that for a home or short-run project.

I also tried glossy catalog paper, although not the super-nice paper some catalogs use, and the result was successful, but there were lots of pinholes in the transfer.

philba

Post by philba » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:07 pm

that looks like a pretty good job there, matt. clearly, it wasn't autorouted.

on paper, I think you will find that there are many papers that work. I'm fond of 20 lb inkjet paper. Each paper needs a somewhat different touch to get it right. So, the best answer I can give you is, it's paper that you are used to.

By the way, I was under the impression that laserjet paper doesn't work that well but maybe the gloss is a coating the prevents the toner from soaking into the fibers.