Need old Nuts and Volts article around 91 or 92?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Radioactive

Need old Nuts and Volts article around 91 or 92?

Post by Radioactive »

I have been looking through my old Nut's and Volts magazine for an article. I have been receiving NV since 1982 so the stacks are great! I think I loaned it to someone and he never returned it to me. Anyway it is an article on a Metal Detector Project I think is call "The M5". It was around the early 90's (I'm missing a few months hear and there.) I'm doing this from memory now so I may be a little off. I remember it being a red in color cover, the Metal Detector Project used a two half winding (168 winds on each side) for the search coil. If someone has this I would like to have the scan of it, or let me know the month and year, maybe NV may have it in stock as a back issue. I contacted NV by phone about two years ago and they said they did not know the month or year. I think they were adding to their database at that time. Please let me know. Thanks all. :p
Externet

Re: Need old Nuts and Volts article around 91 or 92?

Post by Externet »

Hello.
Would you be so kind on checking your early 90's issues for an article that explains on detail the workings of flyback circuits?
I have been checking your request in what is left from my issues and can only find them from 1996. Will try to hunt earlier ones.
If you list your requierements, I may be able to fill some of your voids.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Radioactive

Post by Radioactive »

Thank You BB for the heads up on the N&V volume 14 number 8, August 1993 article by Nick R. Goss and Cyance Kit. I did fine it after you gave me a place to start! Found it, it had lost the cover. This was not the N&V article I was looking for, but was the M3 metal detector. The one I am looking for is the M5 metal detector. I do think now, that Nick also wrote this article. I do remember the coil winding being of 168 turns on a 1/4 OD plastic tube, twice, one for each side. I do think it was a TX-RX type because the coil windings were critical, but I could be wrong. It may also be a PI type, I just cannot remember. So I am still looking for the article, date and issue. If anyone knows Nick R. Goss's PM e-mail address or if he monitors this list, please let me know. Thanks :confused:
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Still need this info? I have access to all issue of Nuts and Volts.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

You're almost getting back to the point where N&V was a newsprint tabloid that was all classified ads and no articles at all! ebay destroyed that venue and the publishers were smart enough to see the future early enough to modify the thrust of the mag to its present form.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

It was still newsprint in 91 and 92. We switched to the BIG magazine size and better paper in mid 92...
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Trouble is, Michael, that I find the "big" magazine size very difficult to store. Of course, I said the same thing when Popular Electronics switched to the "standard size" magazine vs. their original book-size, which was really easy to store on bookshelves. Still, the current "big" size never stands and has to be laid flat.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.