New to hobby

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
TAllen

New to hobby

Post by TAllen »

looking for a good book to help me understand alot of the terms used in the mag's and help me get started using and designing projects for my son and daughter. And yes me to because I am also a kid at heart and still havent grown up. So if you can please help and direct me on the right path. Like they say if you want to learn go to the source and watch the ones who are in the trenches. Thanks all
Chris Smith

Re: New to hobby

Post by Chris Smith »

Forrest Mimms has the starter books on Projects.<p> Terminology? <p>My book is thicker than a dictionary, and just as hard to sort through! <p>And then there is the Acronym book, even bigger!
russlk

Post by russlk »

Well, you could subscribe to Nuts & Volts. The local library is always a good source, and Radio Shack usually has some basic books.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Tim.
Get a 'electronics experimenter's kit set' at RadioShack; I suppose it has a good instructional booklet oriented to beginners with lots of basic terminology. (mine had it 30 years ago) It will also provide the very important 'hands-on' simoultaneously with many projects.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Yeah that should get you going it really helped you me too this past two years or so.I would still use the the book that the unit comes with but for some reason it walked out on me and it hasn't come back yet I've been looking for it all over the house with no luck (I really miss it) :( It had some really good projects in that book.
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Hi Tim,
I checked half.com for used books and there is a lot by this author. I have one of his that is dated 1981. The book is "Basic Electronics Theory with projects and experiments". The book was put out by TAB and is #1338. ISBN 0-8306-1338-2. I saw a lter book by the same name listed for $4.00 plus shipping (used) which would make it less than $10.00 delivered. I have ordered from half.com and they have gotten my money back twice on sellers that failed to ship. Greybie
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

OOPS,
I forgot the author's name "Delton T. Horn" I typed that in to search and he wrote a lot of books. Greybie
toejam

Post by toejam »

Forest Mimms Handbook for engineers will get you started and Horowtiz and Hills Art Of Electronics will polish it a bit.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like the forest mims book called Getting Started in Electronics. like all of his books its avaliable at your local rat shack.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

I still say 'Practical Electronics for Inventors' by Paul Scherz, mostly because of the breadth of its scope. Also checkOmega's Book site. Pricey, but some rarities. ALSO; I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU GO TO GARAGE SALES IN YOUR AREA. You may find a retired engineer, and glean ideas, as you buy 5 textbooks for $1 each.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Speaking of books....<p>There is a book of electronic circuits/schematics that has to be a couple thousand pages long. The schematics are reprints from periodicals with a brief description and a credit/site for the original article. The book is a hard cover, large size book.<p>This book is similar to the "Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits" series by Rudolf Graf and Bill Sheet but is NOT one of their books. This was a book I used in high school electronics class so I know the copyright is before 1982.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Also , Walt Jung's 'op-amp cookbook' is a great choice.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?